Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My left eye feels really heavy, it is also very closed and

Customer Question

My left eye feels really heavy, it is also very closed and can sometimes get a little watery. Its worse when I wake up in the morning, underneath the eye is also puffy. Sometimes it is that much close that I can see my eye lashes when im watching tv.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

These issues are a very common cause of symptoms like yours. The good news? There is a treatment that you can do at home that will help :-)

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning and Greetings from Wisconsin, USA. Or should I say "Good afternoon" on your side of the Atlantic....

Customer :

Thats good news, its been going on for about 6 months. Yes Good afternoon to you too

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good article on Blepharitis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharitis

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer :

Im still here just having a read, i just dont know how this will help open up the eye. when i have a photo taken you can see the difference by quite a bit that the eye is so much closed to the other one

Dr. Rick :

Ok. You can upload the picture using the paperclip on your screen and I'll have a look....

Customer :

will try get you a photo now

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I'll standby

Customer :

wont be long

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer :

Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

got it.

Customer :

Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

I can only see your right eye. It does look a little bit low but not too low....would have to compare to the other....but, from what you have told me and how you look I'd try the lid scrubs.

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

that one better

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer :

left eye is swollen all around really and i especially feel it below

Dr. Rick :

They are a bit swollen and that could be from allergies and blepharitis, but not enough to need surgery or anything like that....

Customer :

so what would you recommend to start with

Dr. Rick :

I'd do the home therapy we discussed above and see how things look in 4 weeks or so....

Customer :

should my eyes look as dark as they do underneath, i dont do drugs or drink

Dr. Rick :

That is not unusual with allergies, lack of sleep etc...as things improve the dark areas should become less.

Customer :

thanks for your help

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.