Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My mother got sick yesterday from some bad food, was vomitting

My mother got sick yesterday from some bad food, was vomitting all day. She is weak but better today. I just noticed her right eye is suddenly lazy, not conjugating with the other. She is 65 years old. Any suggestions? She didn't want to see a doctor just yet.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

On which side is her right eye deviated- towards the nose or towards the outer corner of the right eye? Is there any upper eyelid droop also?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I just noticed that you have entered the chat. Welcome. On which side is her right eye deviated- towards the nose or towards the outer corner of the right eye? Is there any upper eyelid droop also?

Customer:

Thanks...it goes toward the outer corner. It seems the eye is blinking seperately from the other eye also.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Have you observed any upper eyelid doop also? Does the right eye appear slightly smaller?

Customer:

Let me go check...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. I will wait for your response.....

Customer:

Droop, yest...smaller, yes. She says it feels swollen.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

From the given details it looks like your mother has had a third nerve paresis. The third cranial nerve is one of the nerves which is responsible for movement of the eye muscles. When this nerve gets paralysed , as can occur in diabetes or in hypertension, there is an eyelid droop, deviation of the eye to the outer corner

Customer:

She says she can see clearly with it when her left eye is covered, but blurry when using them together.

Customer:

Does this happen suddenly?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, with both eyes open the vision is bound to be blurred due to the gross misalignment and lack of binocular vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes this can happen suddenly.

Customer:

She thought she had food poisoning and now my husband suggest it may be due to tape worms?! Is that reasonable? I like your answer better.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since this condition has a systemic cause and is not due to any eye disease, I suggest you consult her physician.

Customer:

OK. Anything to soothe it tonight?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it does not look like food poisoning here or due to tape worms either. For the moment you can ask her to tape the affected eye to avoid double vision or blurred vision .

Customer:

OK. We'll get it checked out. Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.