Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

if my son does well in school, has 20/20 vision with contacts,

if my son does well in school, has 20/20 vision with contacts, but has an area of partial blindness in left eye (normal retina) that he says has always been there , do i need to pursue a reason?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is his right eye completely normal? Also, was he examined by and ophthalmologist (MD, surgeon) or an optometrist?

Customer:

Right eye in completely normal. He was examined by an ophthamologist.

Dr. Rick :

Has he had an ophthalmologist examine him in years past?

Dr. Rick :

It is just that an OCT scan would not be on my list of diagnostic tests to do first when dealing with this type of an issue.

Customer:

Every year since he was about 5. We were told he had depth perception issues, but minor. My son said that he has been aware of the blind spot since he began reading and thought it was normal. He says he only uses his right eye to read and he squints alot. I am not comfortable with my current opthamologist whose position was that he could order a field visual test but it was not necessary since my son is an A student and has 20/20 vision (with lenses). I am concerned that without knowing the cause, how do we know it won't get worse?

Dr. Rick :

Those are all excellent thoughts and concerns. I agree with you....just because he gets good grades doesn't mean this shouldn't be investigated in more depth.

Dr. Rick :

I would probably start with an old fashioned tangent screen exam using hand held targets. This test hasn't changed in over 50 years but it can be very helpful in cases like your son's in outlining the extent of the problem.

Dr. Rick :

You could take him to a retina specialist, a neuro ophthalmologist etc or you might just want to go to a large university hospital where all of these sub specialists are in the same department, many times just across the hall from each other.

Customer:

You're a mindreader. That was my next questions

Dr. Rick :

It may turn out to be nothing at all and it may go away as suddenly as it was found. Or it may not. Being a parent of 5 munchkins I'd go with the "let's look under every stone" treatment plan.

Customer:

I agree. I would hate to look back and have regrets. Thanks for your help!

Dr. Rick :

I'd do the hand held tangent screen as my first test, after a complete eye exam, of course.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Do you need help finding an ophthalmology teaching hospital near you?

Customer:

We are not too far from Will's Eye Institute. I may start there.

Customer:

Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Say Hi to the folks there. I know a number of them very well :-) Your son will be excellent hands with them.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.