Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

when will the site be fixed again for dr rick?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

I didn't realize that the site had been broken for me......Here I am. :-)

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room. How can I help you today?

Customer:

For followup questions will I be charged again, as I have to click on accept to get out of your site?

Dr. Rick :

On this page, if you click on accept, you will be charged the amount you said you were willing to pay for an answer. My screen shows in dollars so I'm not sure what you listed as pounds.

Dr. Rick :

You should, however, be able to just close your browser, thereby closing out of the just answer website, without paying. I believe after a bit your deposit is refunded to you.....but I'm not sure how that part works.

Dr. Rick :

I'm just a worker bee....the don't let me play with the money or anything important ;-)

Customer:

I already paid your fee plus bonus and you said follow up questions were free of charge

Dr. Rick :

That is correct.....I think that the problem we are having is because the question that I answered, and you paid and gave me a bonus for, was locked. Usually free follow up is done on the original thread. But, we can talk on this thread as far as I'm concerned, just don't hit accept, I won't be paid and you won't be charged again.......at least that is how I think it works.....

Dr. Rick :

What would you like to do?

Customer:

it is just to keep you informed not a question Would you be interested? Will information be private? I have not been asked on the site to request this, so I am wary !!! I had to press accept last night to get out of the site, when I asked you questions but got no reply I'm afraid!!

Dr. Rick :

yes. I would very much like to learn how things turn out. It would be private. Sorry about last night...I never got your question.....the system must be infected with gremlins ;)

Dr. Rick :

You can just close your browser to get out of the site tonight.....not to worry.

Dr. Rick :

In any event there is no way for anyone to know your real name by reading answers on this site....everything is given a code name. Right now you are listed as "jacustomer-d6ck37n3 Ever had anyone around town call you by that name? lol!

Customer:

Is lol an american term? what does this mean?

Dr. Rick :

it is an internet thing. It means "laugh out loud"

Customer:

Thanks!!! Told registrar what you said.She was very pleased. Item almost gone Laser today.too. Appt for 3 weeks hence just to check all is well

Dr. Rick :

Alright! Very good news. Glad to hear that the doctor in training is willing to take advice from an experienced retina doc....even if he is on the internet!

Dr. Rick :

Take care and let me know how things progress. Have a great day.

Customer:

I will indeed keep you posted, as they say here in N Ireland

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Take care.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have a membership plan, as stated on my screen tonight.I remember you saying that you would tell the bosses to cancel this and that I would pay as I go I await hearing from you please. Thanking you in anticipation

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for the problems you're having.....but I did tell them :(

You know how Bosses can be when the Worker Bee tries to tell them to do anything......

You might have to contact them yourself again. Here is the link:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Take care.

Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to have to trouble you with non medical problems, but I was at a loss about who to contact. I will do as you suggest. Thanks again for your help

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It's no trouble at all. I'm glad I can help and sorry that you are having so much difficultly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still have small white broken circles going around in my eye and some black floaters. Is this still alright? They told me at hospital a week ago, that it was a sign that it was getting better and perfectly normal?

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That is correct...this is perfectly normal and it is nothing to worry about at this time. Just make sure to have an examination by an ophthalmologist in the near future so that she can examine your retina.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a good day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an appointment in two weeks time to make sure everything is ok. I have to say the sight is not as sharp as it was before.Is this normal? I can read the chart to the botXXXXX XXXXXne with my good eye but only to third line from the bottom with the other Will this improve?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That sounds like a good idea.

No. I don't like the fact that you have slightly decreased vision in the affected eye. It may be that you have some swelling of the retina. Perhaps you should move up your appointment. It's not an emergency, but I would feel better if you could be examined before the weekend....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

I'm glad you told me about the decreased vision today....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can read your answer alright albeit not just as clear but my eye has been like this after the last two sessions of laser. When the doctor was doing the last session her hand slipped and the beam went down and up again She said sorry about that
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Oops....Ok then. The slightly blurry vision could be from that little slip. In that case, I'd not worry about it. Will it get better? That is an excellent question. It depends on where the "oops" laser hit. Time will tell....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Having said that I think it has improved somewhat these last few days so do you think it would be alright to wait for the next two weeks?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
yes. On second thought, I think it will be OK to wait for your scheduled appointment. I had, briefly, forgotten some of the facts of your situation. I guess I'm coming down with oldztimers disease lol!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The registrar told me that I had a very high pain threshold and most people would not be able to stand what I had. She said she had given me 450 the time before the last treatment She did not say what the last treatment figure was
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ya...it can really hurt, especially when you are treating out nasal and temporal where the big nerves enter the eyeball....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes you are quite right I did feel pain along the side of my nose.Would I be alright in asking her if the slip of the laser was anything to worry about, or would she be able to see for herself but maybe not say?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
She will be able to see for herself and it won't hurt to ask. She has no reason to lie as any eye doctor will be able to see where the laser hit for the rest of your life so there is no way to hide it....so no reason to lie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help and I will keep in touch
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hope to visit the eye clinic soon and wonder if I should ask the registrar if by letting the laser beam slip up and down there had been any damage done or am I not giving it enough time? It will soon be three weeks since the last laser treatment. . My eyesight is slightly blurred and not as clear as the right one is. What should I say? This event may not have anything to do with the blurring at all?

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing wrong with asking her and I'm sure she will give you an honest reply. In the vast majority of cases a slight "slip" or misplacement of laser burn or two does not make any difference. Also, for the record, there is nothing that can be done about it at this point. Once that laser fired the retina was affected and nothing can change that fact.

I really don't think that the event we are talking about has anything to do with your blurry vision at this point. It is much more likely that this is due to your underlying disease.

I hope your next visit goes well, give my best to the young doctor and let me hear how things turn out.

Have a great day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still have the white broken circles and black floaters sometimes moreso when I am under pressure at work Will this gradually go away? Also when I go from a light to a dark room, I will see a white circle or flash, as the registrar called it. Will this gradually disappear?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The floater will probably not go all the way away, but the flash thing should improve with time.

You can rest assured that you are getting excellent care. I'd probably not do anything else different if you were sitting in my Wisconsin exam room.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help and reassurance tonight I will enail you after my examination, as the registrar said it had almost gone before the last laser, but she wanted to see it in three weks time, just to be sure everything was alright
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like a good plan. Talk to you later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I saw the registrar at the eye clinic today and passed on your best regards XXXXX XXXXX sends her very best regards XXXXX XXXXX too!

I mentioned the slip of the laser and she said every thing was alright and nothing was amiss! I told her that I could read the chart to almost the botXXXXX XXXXXne, when I started going to the clinic, but now I could just read to the fourth line from the bottom as my sight was not so sharp as it was. She then said I had developed a cataract and she says this can happen sometimes..As far as I know I did not have this, when I started the laser. She has made an appointment at my local hospital, for six weks hence, to attend the eye clinic. Would this have formed because of the laser treatment, maybe that is what she meant? You may remember I told you recently, that my eyesight was a bit blurred and not as good as my right eye. She then said before I left her, that I had very good eyesight. She wears glasses and had to put in her contact lenses the first time she did the laser Perhaps it will be good again when the cataract is removed. What do you think please? Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It's good to hear from you and that things are going well.

It is very likely that the cataract has been coming along for some time now and,since your retina is better from the laser treatments, it is causing more of a percentage of your vision loss....if that makes sense....anyway, what I am trying to say it that the laser did not contribute to the cataract formation.

Yes, I think that your vision will be better once the cataract is removed.

Take care and keep in touch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She said it had almost gone, but said she would give me a few short blasts of laser in the general area, as she called it When I went into her room from the bright corridor, I told her that I had a white circle or flash, but she did not make any comment . As you said it will just take time!

Thanks again for all your help and reassurance over these last weeks, which has been very much appreciated.

I will keep in touch, should I have any more concerns, hopefully not and I will contact you later, after the appointment about the cataract, should I need any advice

Sincerely,

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad I could be of service to you Mervyn. Take care and have a great day.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rick, I enclose a second bonus of £10.00 sterling, for your excellent work. Please let me know if this goes to your account alright, albeit in American dollars?

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thank you....it came through with no problems :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting me today offering advice. I attend the eye clinic in five weeks time for an examination of the cataract. I still have the white broken circles and a white circular flash. Sometimes I see a black line like a web. with what appears to be a black floater attached to it What is the significance of this? Mervyn.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That is from your diabetic retinopathy and vitreous detachment/floater. As you are getting excellent care and being seen regularly by your ophthalmologist I would not be worried about the white broken circles and occasional white flash you are seeing. From what we have discussed I think everything is going along fine, you are in excellent hands and everything will be ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks once again for your help and reassurance. I will contact you again should I have any further concerns, but hopefully not! I have an appointment regarding the cataract, in five weeks time, at my local hospital. I will contact you after this. Can it be done at the Outpatients clinic, or would I have to be an inpatient in the hospital? Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I personally do the majority of my surgery in my private surgery center, which is all outpatient.

Cataract surgery is 99.99997% of the time an outpatient surgery. Some doctors, however, work out of the operating rooms located in a hospital and many, like me, work out of a free standing surgery center. No matter where your surgeon works, you will be home shortly after having your cataract removed.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you once again!

Kind regards

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
:-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just got an update email from you, after lunchtime today. I have no further questions at present, until I visit the clinic in four weeks time, about the cataract. I will contact you after this. Hope you are keeping well. Mervyn
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I look forward to hearing from you then. Take care and stay out of trouble ;)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was at the opthamology clinic today at my local hospital. My eye was examined and he said that there was scar tissue due toi the laser treatment. I could only read the chart to the 4th line from the top, but the other eye I could read to the bottom. He said the scar tissue was causing the problem and also that I have diabetes. I mentioned what the registrar had told me at the hospital in Belfast about the cataract but he never answered if I had it or not. I said I thought that the scar tissue would prevent the formation of any more blood vessels but he did not answer me. He also asked if i had had any haemorraging ie bleeding but I told him I did not know that. He is booking another appointment for the Royal Victoria hospita in Belfast,l to let them have a look at it, but he did not give any reason or explanation for his action. He said that there would be no more laser treatment. I look forwad to your response Can I please direct the question to Dr Rick please. Mervyn.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mervyn,

Boy. Those Irish Eye doc's don't like to talk much do they? :(

There must be scar tissue in your macula causing the decreased swelling. It could also be edema. Perhaps the doctor he wants you to see in Belfast is a retina specialist.....

Let me know what they find. Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to write a request that you deal with my query as a notice flashed up that it was open to other eye specialists but I had to state that I wanted to deal with yourself. What will the examination entail do you think when I see the specialist in Belfast. Would I need an eye operation or can it be done at the outpatients? Mervyn
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I think it will be a complete exam at this point. I would not think that any surgery is indicated or planned at this time. They will also address any cataract you have and discuss treatment options with you.

If you need cataract surgery it is always done as an outpatient procedure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I said to the opthamologist that I still had the movements in my eye but he did not question what I meant. I still have the white broken circles and the white circular flashes going from a lighted room into dark Mervyn
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I believe you will be ok even though you are still having some flashes of light and the movements. I do not think you have to worry that your retina is detaching.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your reply last night. Sorry I was unable to answer, but it was around 2.30 am here, so I was in bed asleep!.Thanks once again for your reassurance. Should I have any more questions, before I attend the outpatients, at the hospital in Belfast, I will be in touch with you. Hope you are keeping well. Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That is one of the problems one faces when the entire Atlantic Ocean is in the middle. It is now 2:16 pm on Tuesday here in Wisconsin :)

My pleasure to help. I'm here if you have any further questions. Have a good day.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just received an appointment at the Royal Victoria hospital for Tuesday 24 July to attend the Eye clinic, for an OCTscan of the retina. The scan usually takes 15 minutes and drops are put in the eye to dilate the pupils. I am not supposed to drive after and it says I may find it helpful to bring sunglasses. What is this for? I do not have sunglasses and have never worn them in my life. The letter was signd by Doctor Gerald Mahon, Biomedical Scientist, Opthamology Clinic. What does this entail please and why is the scan being done? Mervyn.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

This is a painless computer scan of your retina, usually looking at the center of your retina called the macula. The can itself takes less then 5 minutes for both eyes and it uses no radiation etc....Just a fine laser beam.

They are doing this scan to look at the health of your macula to see if this could be the cause for your deceased vision. My Nurse does this test at least 20 times every day in my office and it is nothing to worry about.

The results are available for review with your ophthalmologist right away.

I think, with sunglasses (My office gives out inexpensive roll up sunglasses to all our patients who want them) you should be able to drive yourself home just fine.

If you can obtain a copy of the scan and attach it to this thread I would be happy to review it for you although I'm sure Dr. Mahon will go over it with you....

Sounds like you are getting excellent care, even if you are having to run all over the country to do it :(

Let me know how things go and do not worry -- this scan is fast, simple and painless :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure whether my last email went to you or not I pressed the return key by mistake and it disappeared. Thanks once again for your help and reassurance. I will indeed ask the doctor for a copy of the report and will try to scan it to you. I am not too conversant with this procedure of scanning, but I will give it a try anyway! Hope you are keeping well. Kind regards. Mervyn.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mervyn. I look forward to hearing from you after your scan.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello again - I visited the Opthamology outpatients clinic in the Royal Victoria hospital in Belfast at 2pm today - it is just after 7pm here now- and the scan was done of my retina. The doctor said that he would send the results to Mr Best, XXXXX XXXXX head of the Opthamology clinics both in Belfast and my local hospital and is called Mr over here and not Doctor to distinguish him I suppose? Does that happen in USA too? So I did not get a chance to ask him for the results of the scan, as the doctor immediatel said that he would send the results to XXXXX would contact me after he had seen the scan, so I am unable to send it to you I am afraid! Maybe I will get one later, as I think they are obliged to give it to you, if you so desire. The man whom I work with, got a retina scan two weeks ago, at a local doctor's surgery and was told the results would not be known for between six and eight weeks . I suppose if I went private I would know that same day! I await your views as to why he did not give me the results today as you had thought, or why does it take him a longer time to view the resullts, or maybe he was too busy, although he took me ten minutes before the appointment time! Mervyn
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Mervyn,

All physicians are called Doctor in the USA.....but things are different the world over.

I am glad you got your scan and I wouldn't read anything into the fact that he did not give you a copy or go over it with you. That must just be the way things are done in that office.

The scan is able to be read the instant it prints out and it takes me about 5 minutes to fully review even the most complex scan so, once again, I'm not sure why he didn't go over the results with you.

If you can get a copy of the scan you can upload it to me and I'll be happy to read it for you.

Glad to hear that you are getting the evaluations you need.

Talk to you again soon. Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks once again for your reassurance and I will certainly contact you again when Mr Best contacts me with the results. I may have to call over to the local outpatients clinicand I will ask him for a copy of the report to scan to you

I have an appointment at 8pm this evening with a client of my own, I am an accountant in practice, so if you wish to send me a reply, I will answer you later. I should be back around 10pm - 4pm your time.

Hope you are keeping well.

Kind regards

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Have a good day and I'll talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again! Mervyn
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

Last time I was in contact with you and was waiting for your reply, a notice came up that my question was now open to all doctors and did I wish to avail of their services?. Maybe you would like to inform the "powers that be" as we say here in Ireland, meaning the bosses, that I only wish to deal with yourself, as you are familiar with my case. Or maybe this a general notice that appears sporadically, with no one specific in mind? Thanks very much. Incidentally, I have not yet heard of an appointment being set up, to advise me of the results of the scan on my retina and the cataract, which the doctor had told me previously, when she did the laser treatment I will be in touch with you, when I see the doctor. It is 12 noon here, so I am sure you are fast asleep in Wisconsin!Wink

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Mervyn,

My entire post was eaten by the Gremlins that live inside the machine....all they left was a period :( Oh well, I'll just type my response over.

That is just a notice the computer sends out when a thread has been open for a long time. Don't worry about it. All of us doctors on the eye thread work very well together and once they see that we have been working together they will not step in and try to take over. :-)

I look forward to hearing more about the scan results.

Have an excellent weekend.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much indeed for your reply, which is very much appreciated .I cetainly will keep in touch! Mervyn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Last time we talked was on 28 July and I still do not have any results of my retina scan, but when I do I will be in touch with you. The reason I write tonight and I hope you will not object to me asking you. as it is not eye related but I value your opinion. I phoned my local; hospital and a nurse, when I told her my story, said everything would be fine to distribute and the bug is only passed only with hand contact. I was in Killarney Co Kerry on holiday staying at a farm guesthouse 300 miles from here and according to the lady of the house, a lady had stayed there the previous week and she was very sick and did not even come to the breakfast table. I had stayed two nights and then at 1am I was sick and vomited, or threw up, on and off till about 2am. I then learned from a lady at the breakfast table the next morning, that her husband had been sick too around the same time and was unable to eat breakfast. This couple were actually from Long Island, N York. My question is this . I bought to distribute, 10 sealed bags of sweets or candies, about 1/2 pound in each amd also hand wipes in a sealed packet for my 92 year old aunt and the sweets being for other elderly and sick relatives and also friends who are teenagers .If you thought that this "bug" if that is what it was, could be transferred, as I had kept some of the packets in a drawer in my room, I would gladly dump the lot no matter about the cost. The Landlady of the house did not tell me about the lady being sick, until the other man and I were sick. I am sorry, but this is a bit long winded I look forward to hearing from you when you have time and I do value your opinion.Kind regards

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear that you care enough about the people who you will give the sweets and other items to that you think about how the illness in the area may have affected the treats.

The good news? There is nothing to worry about....the illness can not be passed to another person from the bag of sweets or, for that matter, even from the outside of the bag. Virus' and bacteria really can not live on bags like that nor will they live on the contents.

You are fine to give these items to anyone you choose.

I hope this was helpful. I look forward to reviewing your retina scan when it becomes available.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick,

So sorry, but I was in bed last night, when your email came through, but

I now wish to thank you most sincerely, for your very kind reply, to my non eye related question, regarding the distribution of the sweets. You certainly put my mind at rest, so I have started giving them out already! Regarding my retina scan, when I eventually get a result, I will be in contact with you again.

Very best regards.

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to hearing from you when you get those results. Have a good weekend.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick,

I have finally received an appointment, for Monday 5th November, 2012, at my local hospital. I can only assume that it is in connection with the retina scan, taken months ago. I will be in touch with you, once I know the results.The white broken circles seem a bit less pronounced now, going from light to dark.

Hope you are keeping well

Kind regards

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Good to hear from you. I'm glad you are noticing some improvement even though it sure has taken you a long time to get the appointment.

I look forward to hearing from you in November.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I just typed you a message but it disappeared!Here I go again

I visiteed the eye clinic this morning and was told that two blood vessels had grown againn and that I would need more laser. They also said that the cataract needed removed to let them see what was going on there, said the consultant. It says on the consent form which I signed, that procedure is for left cataract extraction and implant What does this mean please? The intended benefits are to improve vision. There is a heading for serious or frequently occurring risks as follows:

infection, inflammation,bleeding, partial loss of vision,1:100 complete loss of vision, worsening diabetic retinopathy, guarded prognosis, further surgery. It's to be done bylocal anaesthesia What does this mean please?

I realise that is a lot to digest, but look forward to your opinion, if the treatment is alright. I said to the doctor that I would get it done, as it is not going to improve any on it's own! There is a risk to every operation I suppose

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mervyn,

Good to hear from you again.

It is common for a cataract to get so thick that it is difficult, or impossible, to get the laser back to the retina to get rid of bad blood vessels.

What you have signed up for on the consent is the modern type of cataract surgery. In this surgery your natural lens, which has become cloudy and is now called a cataract, is removed. Immediately after the cataract is out a new, artificial lens is put in its place. Before this artificial lens implant was available, say about 60 years ago, patients had to wear glasses that were as thick as the bottom of a coca-cola bottle. Now, this is no longer necessary.

"infection, inflammation,bleeding, partial loss of vision,1:100 complete loss of vision, worsening diabetic retinopathy, guarded prognosis, further surgery. It's to be done bylocal anaesthesia" Is just a list of the majority of thing that can go wrong when you have the cataract surgery. While all these could happen they very rarely do. Also, I think the risk of complete loss of vision is much less then 1:100, at least in my hands :)

Also, they are saying that, while you will be drugged and kinda groggy during the surgery, you will be awake. This is the way that most cataract surgery anesthesia is done.

Here is a good video showing a real surgery:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcjngf_typical-cataract-surgery-video-with_tech

It sounds to me like you are getting excellent care. And you are absolutely right -- even crossing to the other side of the street has risks :)

You are going to be amazed on how white everything look after your cataract is gone. Best of luck.

I look forward to hearing you things went.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thank you for your explanations and reassurance. Can you please tell me how the cataract formed and why the right eye is alright. I asked the consultant once if the right eye would have cataract eventually but all he said was that it was alright so far. In other words it it inevitable? I was able to read to the botXXXXX XXXXXne of the chart and only to the 4th line with the left eye today, but about a year and a half or so ago, I could read the chart to the botXXXXX XXXXXne with the left eye as well. Is there any way that the natural lens can be retained and be cleaned up for want of a better word? Will the laser treatment on the two blood vessels be done before the cataract removal.? The consultant said that there was scar tissue at the back of my eye . I thought that was alright and that it helped to prevent further recurrence of the bad blood vessels I there anything I can do to prevent this recurrence again?

I look forward to hearing from you

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Every human, if they live long enough (some people it might take 175 years or so....) will get a cataract.

Cataracts are a natural change of the lens of the eye from exposure to light. It can also occur secondary to trauma and disease.

Nope. The natural lens can't be cleaned up and reused, sorry :(

They will probably wait until after the surgery, how long they wait depends on a lot of factors, to do the laser so they can get more laser power to your retina through the very clear artificial lens.

You are correct, there is scar tissue. He probably mentioned that so you understand that there may be more then just the cataract causing your decreased vision so don't be surprised if your are not seeing like you did when you were 15 years old after the cataract is out. The scars may still decease your vision some.

The cataract surgery has nothing to do with the formation of the bad blood vessels or what the scars are doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Rick

Thanks yet again for your advice and reassurance. I tried three times to bring up the website you kindly gave me, for the video of the cataract surgery, but a notice comes up each time, saying there is nothing listed. Maybe it is not available in Northern Ireland?. I will maybe try again tomorrow evening,or maybe you have another site I could try please, as it is approaching midnight and I am off to bed.!

Kind regards

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Not sure why you are having problems, but if copy/paste into your web browser is not working it would probably just be as easy for you to do a google search for "cataract surgery video". You could also go to youtube.com and do the same search.

If that doesn't work for you let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Good luck on your cataract surgery. It sounds like you are in excellent hands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Rick

Thank you for the email.

Believe it or not there is a full page spread in The Daily Mail today which is a UK daily newspaer, about the advantages and disadvantages of cataract surgery. If you would like to try the website Dailymail.com you may be able to bring it up to enable you to read it on page 49. The main topics are as follows

Monofocal lens which is a traditional lens that corrects one vision length only. Free on NHS but costs £2-4000 privately More if laser used

Multifocal lens with ring which incorporates distance and near vision lenses in one Not available on NHS Cost £2-4000 not including laser option

Accommodating lens that mimics the eye muscle moving backwards and forwards Says this is better than multifocal lens as it does not cloud up the elastic like bag that holds the lens Not available on NHS costs £3-5000

Multifocal lens without rings, which is a newer version of multifocal lens, which combine distance to middle and some near vision, without the side effects of the older version. Says the lens needs careful implantation- for best vision it needs accurate position in the eye, so you need to pick your surgeon wisely . Not available on the National Health Service, so the cost is between £3000.00 and £5000.00 not including laser option. Says it is suitable for short and long sight, mild to moderate astigmastism, or a combination of all three

Now the question, should I go for the NHS as the report says it has been used safely for years and as they provide just one focal point on the retina they provuide good vision for those with medical conditions, which may have damaged the retina, such as glaucoma

I look forward to your opinion, when you have time to read of all of this report ,which I am sure is everyday business for yourself

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

It's weird how sometimes an interesting article comes up right when you need it. I've had this happen with journal articles and, wham, the next day a case walks into my office :)

That is an excellent question, and I'm glad you had a chance to read that article. In my opinion, you would do well with the monofocal lens that is covered by the NHS. As the article says, it will give excellent vision and doesn't have the side effects that can occur with the "fancier" lenses.

With your ocular history, keep it simple: Monofocal is the way to go.

Does this make sense to you?

I look forward to hearing from you after surgery. Good luck :)

Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thanks once again for your excellent information, to a lay person like myself!

You were quite right by saying that the odds 1:100 were less tthan that, as the article says 1:1000 may experience some vision loss, as a result of surgery.

It also states that between 10 and 50% of all patients, who are given an artificial lens,will experience some clouding of the implanted lens capsule. This can occur months or even years after the operation, but is easily remedied by a short infra-red laser procedure.The article also states that those with severe short or near sight loss (myopia)have a 1-2 percent chance of the retina becoming detatched after surgery.

Incidentally I was able to google the video about cataract eye surgery.

I will keep in touch should I have any other questions before the surgery.

Hope you are keeping well yourself

Kind regards

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

It is snowing outside and I am an avid winter sports person...so things are going well on my side of the Atlantic.

Don't worry about capsule opacity...that is a easy thing to fix.

Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I had an appointment at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast last Wednesday and had laser on my left eye. The doctor said that a blood vessel had grown and was near the jelly in the eye, so that is why the laser had to be done. He said that if the blood vessel penetrated the jelly blood would fill the eye. He conceded that it was not life threatening, but it was better to have it done. He put a stay at the front of my eye. He said it would stop the eye from moving. I did not have this done before. It was a bit uncomfortable for a few hours later after being removed .So then he mentioned that I was listed to have cataract surgery, but did not say when. You mentioned once that after the laser the scar tissue could mean that the eyesight may not be as sharp as before, but is there an alternative, so that the eyesight would not be affected.

I look forward to hearing from you

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
How much, if any, your final vision is affected by the laser depends where on your retina the laser treatment is needed.

If you doctor said that laser was indicated I am sure that he ruled out all other therapy first.

One thing that is known for sure, however, is that treating the bad blood vessels before they bleed is the right thing to do.

Have Happy Holiday Season.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thank you for your answer.

I enclosed a £10 sterling bonus for you but a note came back to me that £18 sterling had been held on deposit, as if I were just starting up a new case. Please let me know what happened at your end and what you received?

Thank you

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I received it. Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick

Please let me know if you received £10 sterling or £18 sterling.or equivalent in American $

Thank you

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn

Yes I did. Thank you.

Were you able to read my last post? If not, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick

It is now 23.50 pm here and I just telephoned my bank. £10.00 sterling was taken from my bank to your account at 20.22 pm and another £18.00 sterling was taken from my bank to your account at 20.27pm How did this happen please? As the bonus was £10.00 to you, can you please let me know how I go about recovering the £18.00 sterling. Perhaps you could send the bosses this email and as they have my account number, they can credit the £18.00 sterling back to my account

I await your reply please. Thank you

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I will send your email to customer service.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick

Thanks very much for forwarding my email to customer support. They have sent an email to me, to clear this matter up and a refund of £18.00 sterling, will be sent to my account, by direct credit.

Hope you are keeping well and do enjoy the Christmas season. I suppose you will be offline for a few days break?

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Actually, my family will be coming to our house for the holidays so I will probably be online for at least part of every day in the next week or so.....

Glad to hear that customer service was able to clear things up for you. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

DrRick, MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick

I have an appointment in February at my local hospital . I will let you know what they propose to do about the cataract. It will probably be tne monofocal operation, which is done free on the National Health Service and which you recommended in a previous email

I hope you had a nice Christmas and may I wish you a happy,healthy and prosperous New Year

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Good to hear from you.

Yes. I agree with the monofocal lens choice.

Christmas was very good. All five of my children, and our new (1 week old at the time) Grandson were home.

I hope your Christmas was enjoyable as well. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year (Try not to party too hard!)

Dr Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I was at the eye clinic a few days ago at my local hospital and when I came to read the chart with the eye which I had the laser done, I could read it to the botXXXXX XXXXXne. I noticed that when I tried it initially it wasn't as clear, but when I held my head differently I could read it all to the botXXXXX XXXXXne. Why would this be? The consultant said that it was amazing, but he said this can sometimes happen after laser. I said to him that it was the power of prayer and he said yes. So I was given an appointment for six months hence, that is next August. He said no more laser. He did not mention anything about the cataract at all, although I notice that for close up reading the lasered eye is still not as sharp as the other eye due to the cataract. He looked at the good eye too, but did not mention any abnormalities, so maybe I do not have cataract in this eye. He also had a lady assistant with him and he asked her to look at my lasered eye to see the blood vessels. What did he mean by that?

It is now Sunday morning here, that is ten minutes after midnight

Hope your new grandchild is doing well

I look forward to your email

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

I am very pleased to hear that your eye is doing so wonderful :)

I wouldn't worry about what he wanted his lady assistant to look at....she is probably still in training and he just wanted to teach her something by showing how well the laser worked in your eye.

You are in the future! It is still Saturday night here. Maybe I should have you tell me how the stock market is going to do and we can all be rich! LOL!

We now have two grandkids. My Grandson is now 10 weeks old and my new granddaughter is 2 weeks old. I can't believe I'm now married to a grandmother ;-)

Take care and keep in touch.

Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick

Thank you so much for your prompt response Sorry I could not reply as Iwas in bed asleep!

Please convey my congratulations to both sets of parents, on the recent births of your two grandchildren.

Take care and very best wishes to you and your wife, albeit a grandmother!

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes, That is a problem when we are on opposite sides of the planet :-)

I will pass along your thoughts to both of my daughters and new grandchildren...thank you for your kind words.

Have a great day and keep in touch.

Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I have just received an appointment to attend a pre-assessment clinic at the Ophthalmic Clinic, at the Royal Victoria hospital in Belfast on 11th March 2013. The doctor at my local outpatients which I visited recently, did not mention that he was making an appointment for me. Would he still be considering having the cataract operation, even though I could read the whole chart with that eye?

I look forward to hearing from you, when you have time, please.It is ten minutes past 11pm here at the moment.

Thank you

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

I was just out for a valentines dinner with my wife :)

I am glad to hear that you have an appointment at such an excellent institution. As far as the cataract goes, if you are able to see OK at this point, there is no reason to rush ahead with cataract surgery.....but the doctors will check it out anyway.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Let me know what the doctors find. You might be able upload a picture of your clinic note and then we can go over it together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thanks once again for your email and reassurance

I remember the doctor at my local hospital saying, a good while ago, that when the cataract was taken away, it would let them see what was going on back there. I think he was maybe referring to the blood vessel which had formed at that time and had to hd to be lasered?

I hope you and your wife had a nice meal out on Valentine's Day.

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

That we did. Even after 32 years we can enjoy a quiet meal together.

Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I was at the Eye Clinic at the Royal Victoria Hospital this afternoon.

It is now 7pm here at the moment.

I had the pre assessment done with all the usual procedures. The nurse who looked in my eye, said there was a lot going on in my eye and they neded to take the cataract away, so that the special;ist could see behind. She also said that there was swelling as welll and that more lazer may be required after the operation due to the blood vessels Why would there be a swelling? I could read the chart only half way down with the eye with the cataract, but the right eye, I could read it all, although she said there was a very slight cataract there too but not significant enough to worry about and my eyesight was good in tat eye. She said I might need reading glasses after the operation. I have never needed glasses before Why would this be?.She also told me if the eye started bleeding, during the operation, because of the vessels, a further operation may be needed. It says in the leaflet she gave me that most cataracts are removed by a technique called phacoemulsification. The surgeon makes a very small cut in the eye, softens the cataract with sound waves and removes it through a small tube. The back layer of the lens is left behind and then the new lens is put in. Is this your procedure? Will it be more complicated because I am diabetic? Local anaesthetic is used.

Another complication is tearing of the back part of the lens capsule, with disturbance of the ge,l that may result in reduced vision, or loss of all or part of the cataract in the back of the eye, requiring a further operation by general anaesthetic

The operation they tell me will be either in April or May.

I look forward to hearing from you, when you have time

Thank you

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mervyn,

I've just got home from the clinic. Since it is night time on your side of the planet I'll come back after dinner and leave an answer :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

There are a large number of reasons why you might have more swelling. It is common for the cataract to get in the way and make figuring this out difficult. Once the cataract is gone your retina doc can get to work again.

After the operation the cataract surgeon will "set" your eye for distance vision. As such, like everyone over 40, you would need reading glasses for up close. Don't worry too much about this right now as your retina is going to be the primary issue when it comes to your vision anyway....

Cataract doctors do not deal with bleeding in the back of the eye...that is what Retina surgeons were invented for. Once again, don't worry about this.....

Phacoemulsification is the modern way cataracts are removed. As a retina specialist I take the lens out a different way if I need to. I no longer do "routine" cataract surgery :)

It is rare to have to back of the lens capsule tear but, once again, your retina surgeon can get any wayward cataract pieces that fall back toward your retina.

What is the take home message? The nurse was just giving you the "standard" scary story of all that might go wrong. I'd not worry about it. There is very little that a cataract surgeon can screw up that a good retina doctor can't fix lol!

Let me know how things turn out.....

Dr Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thanks very much for your reassurance

The nurse also insisted that I have someone bring me to the hospital, bring me home again and stay with me all night, in case of anything untoward happening. What could happen? I told her that I had not even told my brother that I had cataract, or been having laser treatment. She was adamant and told me that this was 'hospital policy' and must be adhered to! She said I have to bathe my eyes and as I also have dry eyes I need to put in drops daily, from now until the operation She did not complete the section of the Consent for Treatment form, until I told my brother and let her know what I propose to do.Would you insist on all of this?

I look forward to hearing from you, when you have time. It is now 9.25pm

Thanking you in anticipation

Mervyn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thank you for your reassurance. The nurse also told me that I would need to get someone to bring me to the hospital and take me back home again and to stay the night with me, in case anything untoward happened and then bring me back to the hospital for a check up the very next day for the doctor to examine the eye and take off the bandage. I said I had not even told my brother about hte laser treatments I had. She was adamant that this procedure should be carrried out and quoted to me that it was' hospital policy' and must be adhered to!. I am not allowed to lift anything heavy or make sudden movements etc she said. Do you agree with all of this ?

Thanking you in anticipation

Mervyn.

PS I may have emailed you twice. The first message 'disappeared', but a message came up from Microsoft, that they were having a problem. I clicked the box, which they requested, to send an error report and my first message came up again, so I pressed the send button to you. These things are sent to try us as they say here in N Ireland!!!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Nothing really should happen but it is a good idea to have someone with you the day and night of the surgery. I'd just try to find a cute, 25 something, 36-24-36 redhead to keep you safe if necessary. ;)

You can lift things....smoking is never good for you and hospital policy has a way of getting out of hand.

I'd just do the things you can (such as getting hold of the redhead) and take the other "policies" as you would any unwanted task...

Good luck :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thanks once again for the reassurance

Incidentally, I won't breathe a word to your wife, about your penchant for shapely redheads, or ginger, as we say here in N . Ireland!!

When I get word from the hospital, about my admission date, I will be in touch with you again

Kind regards

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Thanks....since my wife is a brunette ;)

Talk to you later.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello RickI cannot believe it is nine weeks since we last spoke. I have received an appointment for 6th June at the Mater Hospital Belfast, but the hospital insists that I bring someone with me and that date does not suit my brothher. So I will ring the hospital in the morning, when the clinic opens at 9am and try to make it for Friday 7th June. I have been bathing my closed eyelids with a cloth and boiled water left to cool down. I hope this sufficient. I will continue to do this for the next fortnight, ie that is two weeks here!Is there anything else I should be doing in preparation for the operation? They gave me complicated procedure but said the latter would suffice if unable to do it! They insist I have my brother bring me home and stay at his house for the night and then he is to bring me back to the hospital the next day, to have the bandage removed. I hope the clinic is open on Saturday morning!I look forward to hearing from youThanks Mervyn.A notice just came up to say that my question has been opened now to all eye experts but as I stated a long time ago I only wish to avail of your services. What do I do now?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

I hope that the hospital can change your appointment time. If not, you could just show up alone -- I've always found that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :)

The worst thing that could happen is that you have to stay in a local hotel or something...

Thursday may be the only day the doctor operates so you may not be able to move the scheduled time without a long delay....of course, here in the USA I could get you treated tomorrow lol!

Did I mention that I have a friend in Londonderry and I visited there during the summer of 1988.....beautiful country. The troubles were still going on back then and one night a squad of Royal Marines came onto the farm and searched the barn and all the out-buildings. My friend told me to just stay in the house -- if the soldiers wanted to talk to us they would knock on the door :(

Let me know how thing go...take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rick
Thanks for your prompt reply
Yes, you did tell me once that you came to Londonderry,now and again to visit.
I had not thought about staying at a hotel, but I would have to go by train, as I would not be allowed to drive home after the surgery, so they insist. It is now 10.50 pm here, so I will email you later, as to how things work out in the morning. How long would it take me to get to Winsconsin,and to your clinic??? Seriously though, thanks once again for your advice. I hope both you and your wife are keeping well.
Mervyn
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It is only 3,527 miles from Belfast to my town as the crow flies.....The hardest part is swimming the North Atlantic Ocean ;)

If you are on a train how do they figure you will be driving?

Best of luck to you. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rick
Thank you once again for your prompt reply
Sory, but it was 3am when your email came through, so I was fast asleep!
I rang the Mater hospital in Belfast this morning and you were quite right in your assumption. If I should cancel, it would be seven months before I would be called again. So I am booked for Thursday 6th June at 12.45 pm. I will go the thirty miles by train alone and hopefully I won't be told off for not having someone with me!! Hopefully my brother will be able to collect me that evening, to bring me to his house and then back on Friday to have the bandage removed. As I am sure you well know, 'best laid plans can go astray', as we say in N. Ireland. It is
now 9.55 pm here.
Should I have any more questions before the surgery, I will be in touch with you
Thanks very much indeed
Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That is what happens when we are on opposite sides of the world :)

Best of luck on your surgery. Please drop me a note and let me hear how things turn out.

Take care.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I had the cataract operation yesterday at the Mater hospital in Belfast.

It went well and the doctor's assistant said after the operation 'you did very well' The put a clip on my finger before the operation. What was this for please? The only problem now is putting in the eyedrops!!. It is certainly not easy, sometimes they end up on my finger or my cheek. Have you any foolproof tips for doing this successfully?. I have drops called Maxidex to be put in 4 times a day for 4 weeks and Chloramphenicol drops, which have to be put in for times a day for 2 weeks and then twice a day for two weeks . The latter drops have to be kept in the fridge. I believe both these drops are to prevent infection. Is that correct?

I was told not to drive for 48 hours. My eyesight is not any better at the moment for reading but I can see alright with the new eye Do you think it will improve any more?. The doctor told me some time ago that removing the cataract will not improve your eyesight. The doctor in my local hospital, told me that they were removing the eye with the cataract, so that they could then see what was going on at the back of my eye, after I had the bad blood vessels lasered previously.

I have to go to my local hospital within a fortnight - 4 weeks- for a checkup.

I look forward to hearing from you

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

It is good to hear from you. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I am traveling by car about 1,800 miles to my son's High School Graduation. They grow up so fast :)

The clip on your finger watches your blood oxygen content and heart rate. Nothing to worry about :)

I like to keep the eyedrops in the fridge this way you can feel the cold drop when it gets in your eye. The easiest way to do the eye drops is have someone put them in for you :)

The maxidex helps with swelling and inflammation and the chloramphenicol is for preventing infection.

Yes. Your vision will continue to improve for up to three months or so. It is a good sign that you can see so well already :)

Take care and have a good day. Let me know how thing go.

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thank you once again for your reassurance and advice. The only way I know I have' hit the spot 'with the eyedrops, is when it stings or smarts, as we say here in Ireland. I live alone, so have to do everything myself!

So sorry to have troubled you and thanks for taking the trouble, when you are tied up with your son's graduation and all that entails and all that travelling. I attended my cousin's son's graduation in Youngstown, Ohio, about thirty years ago. It was a grand occasion ,with much preparation attached. Please convey my hearty congratulations and best wishes to your son, on the occasion of his graduation.

It has been very hot this last week, for Ireland that is, circa 22c to 24c ie 72f to 75f, as you say in the States

I am enclosing £25.00 sterling for all your help and advice. It will help a little towards your petrol, or gas as you say, with all that travelling!! Please let me know if you receive it alright Thank you.

Should I have any more worries or symptoms, I hope it will be alright to keep in touch.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Don't worry about missing the spot with the drops...putting in a bit extra won't hurt anything at all.....

I will be sure to pass along your congratulations to my son -- when he wakes up. They had a all night Senior Party at the school and I learned from him mother that The Graduate and his younger brother crawled into the house at 5 am today :)

Let me know if you have any further questions -- you are NEVER bothering me :)

Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

About seven weeks ago I sent you a bonus of £25.00 sterling which you got alright. When I got my bank statement a further £18.00 sterling had gone through as well. Did you get this . I think what happened was I answered through a new just answer and they charged me for it but if you got the money I am happy enough. Please let me know. You should have got £43.00 sterling in total

I had an appointment at my local hospital today but I was only able to se a Registrar as the surgeon who did my cataract was on holiay.He just confirmed that the surgery had gone well but then gave me the bad news that there was what looks like fluid at the back of my eye. I had noticed these last two or three weeks that there seemed to be a film over my eye.

I also had the broken circles and some flashing going from darkness to light. He then said that I woul;d have to go back to the Royal Victoria Belfast for a scan aof the back of my eye as soon as posible as it could be connected to my diabetes although he said fluid can sometimes happen to a non diabetic person as well.. He is to set up an appointment but unfortunately I have booked for Venice Italy for a week from next Sunday 4 August. So he said he would arrange around this. I also told him had booked to go to Killarney Co Kerry from 7 September for a week's holiday. It is aXXXXXfrom here. He said it was alright to go on the aeroplane to Italy. I called at the Chemist with my prescription for the eye drops I have to put in for the next four weeks and they did not have them in stock and will not be in until Wednesday. The lady Chemist told me that they did not have these availanble and would therefore have to order them specially. She said they were steroid drops. Are these safe to use?.I could only read the chart to the third or fourth line at the hospital this morning. With my good eye I could read the chart alright. The Registrar said that the drops may restore my sight and it may not!! Sorry to be so long - winded with my explanation. Can you please let me know what you think. Is this a serious complication?

Thank you

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Yes. I did get the extra bonus from you....I'm sorry if it was put through in error....I've already spent it on new shoes for my starving, thread-bare and, no longer, barefoot daughters ;-)

Yes. The steroid drops are safe to use. It sounds like you may have a touch of something called CME (cystoid macular edema).

The Registrar is correct in that this may be connected to your diabetes, although I so see this condition in a number of post-op cataract patients who have no underlying medical issues at all.

The good news? In the majority of cases this either clears up on its own or responds well to therapy. You do not have to worry about permanent loss of sight at this point.......

If you need a bag boy I am available to assist you during your upcoming trips to Venice and Killarney County. We would not want you to strain yourself unnecessarily, now would we?

Take care and let me hear how you are doing.

Have a wonderful trip :)

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello Rick

Thanks once again for your advice and reassurance.

Unfortunately I could not afford to pay for a bag boy, although if the bag boy ,now that he has the children clothed and shod in decent footwear, could maybe pay for himself, he would be very welcome company for a lone traveller!!! I remember once going from Heathrow airport in London, to Albany, New York and we had a tunnel leading from the terminal building to the aeroplane. At the end of the tunnel it was just below the aeroplane doorstep and I very briefly tripped on it. The captain at the door said "Have a good trip sir".

How apt and an ingenious comment, don't you think? I think this may have been from his collection of witty remarks gathered up over the years

I will be in touch should I have any more worries or concerns

It is now 11.40 pm here, so I am off to bed

Thanks again

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Have a good night and take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I have been prescribed Maxidex Dexamethasone to be to be used four times a day for one week andAcular Ketorolactrometamol to be used 4times a day one week three times a day for another week twice a day for another week and once a day for the last week.Why is the treatment so long drawn out and how will I manage while on holiday out and about in the mid nineties ? I also have to apply for my drivers licence renewal I have to go for an eye test with an optician. It will not be good and my sight will not be up to standard with drops applied so often

Please let me know what you think is best

Thank you

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

That is not too long to be using the drops....follow your surgeons advice and keep up the good work.

You could change your Holiday plans and visit the North Pole. I heard it is not very hot this time of year there :) Otherwise, just do your best. The heat will not hurt your eye.

You can get a note saying that you just had eye surgery and the drivers lisc people will test you when your eye surgeon says you are ready...

Don't strain yourself with those heavy bags now, 'ya hear? ;)

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

Thanks for your advice but this the second time I have had to do this routine treatment, as I did the same thing just after the surgery, seven weeks ago. The registrar said yesterday that it may restore my sight and it may not! He thought the treatment would eradicate the fluid he saw at the back of my eye, but I still have to go for an eye scan to; see what is going on back there;, to use his words.

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mervyn,

Oops. I forgot about that part. As we discussed you most likely have Cystoid Macular Edema (CME). This usually resolves on it's own or with the drops you are using.

If it doesn't there are things that us (wonderful) retina docs can do to reduce the swelling if needed.

Not time to panic yet.....

Enjoy your vacation and use the drops :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick

Thanks for your invaluable advice and reassurance

I will keep in touch should any other perceived worries or problems arise.!!

I must start my packing soon!

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Have a great trip.

Dr.Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick

I arrived back from Venice, Italy last Friday. The temperature was 38c 100f on arrival, but was usually 34c to 36c 93f to 97f with 95% humidity. I really enjoyed my holiday there.

I write to say that I have received an appointment at The Royal Victoria hospital in Belfast, on 30 th August 2013, for an OCT scan of the,retina at the Eye Clinic. Is this being done because I am diabetic and now that the cataract is gone, they can then see what is going on at the back of my eye, as they had intimated before. It says the scan will take around fifteen minutes It also says on the letter, that it may be benificial to bring sunglasses. I do not have sunglasses. Is this really necessary? I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you

Mervyn.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Rick

I sent you an email on Thursday 15th August, but as yet have not received a reply. Maybe you were on holiday, as I brought up your site a few times and you were offline I look forward to hearing from you please I could edit the copy I have on your site and then send it again to you.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Mervyn

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.
Hi Mervyn,

Yes. Sorry. My partner has been away from the office and I have been working like the proverbial Red-headed Stepchild in the clinic so I've not been able to be on line much lately.....

They want you to bring sunglasses as your eyes will be dilated for the exam. In my office I give everyone a free pair of plastic wrap-around sunglasses...maybe they don't do that there...

But, if you don't have any sunglasses, you really won't need them...but you will be more comfortable on with the way home if you do :)

If you can get copies of the scan and of the doctors notes you can upload them to me and we can go over what they say in detail.

I wish you the very best you your appointment.

Dr.Rick
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Rick

Thanks again for your advice and for taking the time, during your appointments, when you are so busy. I do appreciate it very much . I will let you know how things go, when I get home on Friday.

Mervyn.

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm home for the day now :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Rick

I attended the eye clinic at the Royal Victoria hospital today

An assistant did the scan, but I did not see the doctor. I have an appointment next Monday morning at my local hospital, so I will get the results then. When the scan was being done she told me to try and not blink and to stare.When the scan was finished she said 'you can go home now'

I will tbe in touch with you on Monday night. Thank you.

Have a nice weekend!

Mervyn

Mervyn,

Wow. A lot of work to drive all the way for a 30 second test....wonder why you couldn't have done the scan (probably an OCT) and see the doctor on the same trip.

Oh well.....let me know what the doc says.

Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Rick

Thanks for your email

Yes, it was an OCT scan, which I had done in the Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast, which is 30 miles away.

I will be in touch with you on Monday night

Mervyn.

Sounds good.

Have a great weekend.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Rick

I visited my local hospital's eye clinic today and spoke to the surgeon who performed the operation.. He said the surgery was a complete success. He said my eye was much better than one month ago, when I was put on the second course of drops. He did not prescribe drops again. He had not got details of the scan ,which was done last Friday in Belfast, but said if he needed to see me, when the results were with him, he would write to me. I now have an appointment to see him again in six months time. So he must have been happy enough today! He doesn't elaborate too much!! I could read the chart with my right eye to the bottom of the chart today, but with the left eye j ust to the line below the red line Before I had the laser done last year, I could read to the bottom of the chart with both eyes. Will it ever be the same again, or it related to my diabetes, or to the bad blood vessels being lasered?

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks.

Mervyn.

Mervyn,

It is hard to for me to say what your future vision may or may not be without doing a complete exam myself. That being said, it hopefully will not get any worse and, might, get a bit better still.

Good to hear you are doing so well!

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Rick

Thanks for your email yesterday

If I get any word about the OCT scan last Friday, I will let you know. I am going to see my own GP tomorrow morning, so maybe he will have news of the scan.

Kind regards

Mervyn.

Mervyn,

If you can get a copy of the OCT and upload it I'll be happy to review it for you.

Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Rick

I visited a local optician's shop today to get tested for my driving licence that I could see alright. He told me that I would never need glasses for driving but I still cannot see as well with tthe eye where the cataract was removed. I asked him why and he said it is not your own eye and only a replacement so I could not expect it to be similar to my good eye but did concede that it may improve? He recommended reading glasses even though I can read the newspaper r.I had to pay £180.00 stg about $320. He also asked if I used a computer all day. I told him I did not. When he looked at my good eye he said there was blood from blood vessels and later showed me the black mark on the screen. He said to keep a watch on it.He said it could also be hampering my sight as he showed me something very small and it was not clear, which I normally could have seen, but I was probably flustered at being there for the first time in almost 64 years.. Last Friday a taxi driver drove out in front of me with the result I crashed into him. Would the impact of the car crash have caused the blood in my right eye? I forgot to say about it to the optician today Do you think I should make anappointment for the eye clinic at my local hospital. to see if anything can be done. He did not suggest this

I look forward to hearing from you

Mervyn.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.
Mervyn,

No. I do not think that the crash with the taxi would have caused the blood in your eye, that is not without you having many other serious injuries in the crash...which it doesn't sound like you did.

I think that having an ophthalmologist take a look at you would be a very good idea. I sure would like have a doctor take a look at this spot of blood.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Rick

I will make an appointment today with my local hospital rather than having to travel 30 miles to Belfast. I suppose the opthalmologist would have the same qualifications in my local hospital? Would they be as specialised though?

Mervyn

Mervyn,

Every doctor who is certified as an ophthalmologist would have similar qualifications so, yes, the one by your local hospital will be just fine :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Rick
I rang my local hospital eye clinic this morning and the medical secretary looked up the notes and said that when I was last there on 2 September 2013, the doctor noticed that there was fluid in my good eye, so that was why he said he would see me in six months.So I then went back to the opticians who told me that it was blood. I told a different optician there what the hospital had said about the fluid not blood. He said he would mention this to the optician who had seen me yesterday and who said it was blood. The optician today said that when I call in next week to collect my spectacles, he would have another look at the eye with the fluid. How does fluid form and is there anything I can do to help prevent this?

I look forward to hearing from you please.

Mervyn

Mervyn,

It would be nice to know where your ophthalmologist and the optician would be more specific where the fluid and the blood is located in your eye.

It is in the macula, choroid, conjunctiva etc.....

If it is in your macula you should be re-examined by your ophthalmologist right away.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Rick

The opthalmologist at the hospital said it was fluid in September and he would see me again in six months ,but the optician thought it was blood. When the second optician saw it today he was of the same opinion of it being fluid I think, not what the other optician said yesterday about being blood.. The medical secretary at the hospital said to be guided by what the opthalmologist in the hospital said.and to stick to the appointment set up circa March 2014.

I await your message please

Mervyn.

As a retina surgeon I am always uncomfortable when I am told there was fluid and blood found "in the eye" without any further information.

Fluid/blood on the conjunctiva is nothing to worry about.

A history or fluid, with new blood, found in the macula in an emergency in my opinion.

I'd squeeze the medical secretary for a quicker visit to the ophthalmologist......
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Rick

I spoke to the medical secretary this morning and told her I had been speaking to an online retina surgeon. She was very sharp and abrasive and said I do not know if he is qualified or not! She probably would not speak to me if I rang back in the morning. I will visit the optician in about one week and ask him when he looks again if I should visit an opthalmologist

I do appreciate your concerns. I will let you know when I get any information

Thanks again

Mervyn

Mervyn,

Ok. You can only do the best you can do....

Let me know what you find.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD