Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had a CMA stroke in Nov 2010, While my PT/OT seem to be coming

Customer Question

I had a CMA stroke in Nov 2010, While my PT/OT seem to be coming along ok, I have noticed over the last 6-8 months or so, that my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, Indoor lighting doesn't bother me, Is this yet another slap in the face from the stroke? I don't recall having this before I went into the VA hosp for about 4 months, but my memory really sucks anyway, so no clue.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What type of issues are you having with the sun? Glare? photophobia? decreased vision etc?

Customer :

The sun, even on days with little shadow, makes me want to close my eyes or get back indoors. The cheap WalMart sunglasses help on the milder days, bareable on bright days. No real pain or discomfort, just 'tired' eyes, I guess is best way to describe it. Again, It's only been last 6 months or so, since I left the hospital. Sorta noticed in there, but since Last summer was mostly 100+ degrees in Central Texas, I mostly stayed indoors. As the stroke seems to be responsible for many other issues, I was just wondering if this was another. I have sustained no injury since the stroke in Nov,2010, which took my entire right brain

Customer :

I guess photophobia is the best description

Dr. Rick :

Have you had an eye exam by an ophthalmologist since your stroke?

Customer :

no, I have not had an exam. I see my PC provider on 2 may and ask her for a referral to optometry. So far,so good ?

Customer :

I will bring it up to them in Optometry, take it from there.

Dr. Rick :

An optometrist will, most likely, not be able to help with this issue

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that this is from you stroke but rather that some pathology will be found with your eye itself that is contributing to your symptoms. One issue that could cause this is a cataract, especially a special type called a subcapsular cataract.

Customer :

Sorry, my "strokebrain" didn't think about going to hosp tomorrow. But thanks for reminder,though

Dr. Rick :

I'd see an ophthalmologist for a full exam

Dr. Rick :

Would you like to try some home treatment first though?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.