Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have dry,flaky,itchy upper eyelids that are sometimes very

I have dry,flaky,itchy upper eyelids that are sometimes very red and inflamed. The condition also goes below the lower lid on my left eye, just above my cheekbone. It is not blepharitis because it is affecting the upper part of my eyelids, near the brow. It gets better then flares up unexpectedly. My left eye is a little swollen in the mornings but not the right eye. I have been using grapeseed oil on my eyelids to battle the dry, scaly condition they are in. What is this and can I treat it myself? Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may have eczema. It is not uncommon for this to affect the face/cheek as well as the eyelids.

Dr. Rick :

I would forgo the grapeseed oil and try 1%hydorcortizone cream twice a day.

Dr. Rick :

Also a little bit of vasoline in the morning can help.

Customer:

Why would I develop eczema at this age in my life - I've never had it before!

Dr. Rick :

It can pop up anytime in life....

Dr. Rick :

I'd give it a week of this treatment and if things aren't better see your primary care MD, or if you can get into one in a timely fashion, a dermatologist.

Dr. Rick :

Dost this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

Seriously, eczema? Can I get hydrocortizone cream at the pharmacy?

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything else you could possibly identify this as?
It could also be an allergy to something that you are coming into contact with intermittently....if this is the case, the mild steroid will address this problem also.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A mild steroid - is that the hydrocortizone cream? If so, you didn't say whether or not I could get it at the pharmacy.
I'm sorry....yes, that is the hydrocortizone cream and it is available over the counter at all pharmacies, wal mart, some grocery stores etc.