Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, About every other month or so .. the blood vessels

Customer Question

About every other month or so .. the blood vessels in my left eye (part of eye closest to my nose) burst. When I woke up this morning everything was fine .. in the midst of putting on my make it happened. I dont remember scartching my eye or anything. any insight?
Thanks,
Sheryl
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Customer :

great! ... but what causes the continuous breakage? It is a bit uncomfortable ..

Dr. Rick :

In your case, however, since this seems to be a recurring issue I think you should probably see an ophthalmologist for a full eye exam just to make sure nothing else is going on to cause these recurrent hemorrhages. It is very unusual for them to happen as frequently as you are reporting...

Dr. Rick :

One other thing....I notice that you have asked a number of questions on this site and, even though you have received good answers, you did not accept them and, as such, the experts did not get compensated for their time. Is this your intention on our interaction also?

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.