Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

What can we expect from non-chrirurgical means of treating

Customer Question

What can we expect from non-chrirurgical means of treating cataract?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Certainly smoking is a risk factor for cataract formation and also for cataract progression. Unfortunately, stopping smoking will do nothing to help a cataract improve or regress. Once a cataract is there, it does not improve and always gets worse. Stopping smoking may slow down the progression but not improve it. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB : Ultimately, there is no proven formula or treatment of cataracts. The only way to treat a cataract is to remove it with surgery.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : If not, Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.