Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I just noticed a bright, red bloody area on my right eye. I

I just noticed a bright, red bloody area on my right eye. I do not have any pain and my vision is unimpaired. I have been fighting a stomach virus recently and an ongoing allergy / sinus problem for a few weeks. Lots of periorbital tenderness on both eyes when depressed. Just concerned about the blood.

Just noticed this for the first time tonight.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB : Are you taking any of the following: Warfarin, aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn, garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba or vitamin E?
Customer:

I have been taking a lot of Aspirin lately because I had a high fever with the stomach virus. Took it every 4 hours on yesterday. Also taking Vitamin E.

Customer:

Did you get my response?

Customer:

Doctor DanB...are you returning?

Doctor DanB : I'm sorry.
Doctor DanB : I had to step away from my computer for a minute.
Customer:

OK. Thought I had lost you.

Doctor DanB : It sounds like what you experienced is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This essentially amounts to a bruise on the eye, except on the eye the tissue that the blood is underneath is transparent so you see the blood exactly the color it is, versus a bruise on your arm which is hiding beneath layers of skin.There are things that can predispose to getting these hemorrhages. Warfarin (coumadin) is one of the most common drugs that cause this. However, taking aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn can thin the blood and predispose to these. Also taking garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba and vitamin E can also thin the blood and predispose to getting these.  However, as any bruise, these can happen without taking any of these blood-thinning medications. Also when there is significant pressure being generated in the eye or head, this can happen from that. Examples of this include eye rubbing, sneezing, coughing, lifting a heavy load or straining against a bowel movement. If you are not taking any of these medicines or vitamins and/or you've not had any of these pressure causing events, then having multiple episodes of this could be a sign of a bleeding problem and should be checked out by your primary care doctor.In the meantime, if there is any eye discomfort, cool compresses and/or artificial tears can help alleviate your symptoms. As long as there has been no prior eye surgery or trauma, however, there is usually little cause for concern.  These hemorrhages will usually resolve in 1-3 weeks spontaneously, as any bruise would.
Customer:

I have been taking a considerable amount of Vitamin E, Garlic and Aspirin over several months (Vit E and Garlic); ASA - over 24 hours. I do sneeze and cough vigorously in an attempt to clear nasal drainage in my throat. Should I rinse my eyes with something like Visine? Or, allow to subside on its own?

Customer:

By the way, I do tend to rub my eyes as they feel very dry.

Doctor DanB : I don't think the Visine that gets the red out would be a good idea, nor would it be helpful for this type of redness. Just plain artificial tears would be helpful to keep the eye more comfortable.
Customer:

One question: I used to be a Registered Nurse and wondered about the reference to a bleeding disorder. My blood work was done recently (2 - 3 months) and was normal. So, are you suggesting a prolonged clotting problem, etc? Just a little concerned, that's all.

Doctor DanB : No, I'm not suggesting that at all because you've certainly taken enough medications that can thin the blood and have also been exerting pressure on the head and eyes.
Customer:

OK. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will be vigilant. I was taking 2 aspirins per day for several weeks, and with the stomach virus (and the elevated temp), I started taking 2 q4h (which might have been too much). Should I just leave off the ASA, Garlic and Vit E for now?

Doctor DanB : I probably would for now unless the ASA is for CV protection.
Customer:

I do not have any Cardiovascular issues, but decided to take it on my own. In fact, it is not even low dosage ASA, it is regular. So, I will stop for now. The Garlic and ViT E were helping to modulate a slightly elevated BP which is now around 124/73.

Doctor DanB : That sounds like a good plan.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

The eye feels a little scratchy. Will the artificial tears address that? Thank you Doctor DanB.

Doctor DanB : It will very likely help that.
Customer:

Thanks for your assistance.