Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

When I wake up in the mornings my vision is blurry for the

When I wake up in the mornings my vision is blurry for the first 5 minutes or so. I do wear prescription lenses for my near-sighted vision but I didn't start having this problem till more recently and I've been wearing glasses for years now. I also noticed that I can no longer wear contacts for more than an hour, it just hurts and I have to constantly use eye drops through out the day. I don't think this is normal. Do I have some sort of dry eye condition now? How did I get it?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

On first blush, that sure seems to be the likeliest of possibilities. It's also possible that you have some inflammation in your cornea that is preventing you from being able to stay in the contact lenses for very long. Either possibility could give yuo the symptoms you're experiencing right now. Unfortunately the only way to distinguish between the two would be to get an exam by your ophthalmologist--I wouldn't go to an optometrist because for most medical problems of the eye, they are not going to be able to detect the subtle nuances of pathology in the eye to correctly diagnose and treat some eye conditions. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.

If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

The last time I went to my optometrist he told me I also had a large nerve behind my eye that would make me a candidate for glaucoma too. I'm not sure if there's a connection to that in this situation. I've never been to a ophthalmologist either. I never even knew their was a difference. I think for the most part the reason I just can't stand wearing contacts long is cause it just makes my eyes dry and red even more than normal. Also, could this be a symptom of diabetes?

Doctor DanB :

This problem wouldn't be a symptom of diabetes, but is likely a symptom of some underlying cornea problem, be it dry eye or inflammation. Glaucoma also would not be the cause of these symptoms either, though could ultimately affect the peripheral vision in the future. For the sake of monitoring glaucoma, and for the evaluation of these symptoms, though, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist--an eye M.D., and not just the optometrist. Does this make sense?

Yes, I think I will schedule a visit. Thank you so much.