Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

why are both my eyes burning and watering and in pain, i wear

Customer Question

why are both my eyes burning and watering and in pain, i wear contacts but to painful to have them in right now. i had to get drops before, because the dr. said i wasn''t getting enough oxygen and i had dry eyes, and that was causing the pain. my nose has been running all day too. please tell me what to do ? thank-you---Jebra Ward
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any redness in the eyes too?

Customer :

not really, its really red on the lower parts of my eyes, don''t know what you call that, the top is eyelids, this is the bottom parts

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It could be possible that you have a viral infection both of the eyes and the nose. Adeno viral infections can cause keratoconjunctivitis which is why you are experiencing pain too. Otherwise conjunctivitis is usually painless. Also there could be dry eyes which has worsened the symptoms.

Customer :

i just went and checked, both eyes are red, like bloodshot.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

More likely to be a viral conjunctivitis. Luckily it is self limiting and takes about 7-10 days to subside by itself.

Customer :

the light makes it hurt worse to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, photophobia is intolerence to bright light and can occur is there is some amount of corneal involvement too.

Customer :

what can i put in my eyes for the pain and burning ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can start using lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears, 1 drop 4-6 times a day for the next 1 week. You must refrain from wearing contact lenses for atleast 2 weeks or till the eye is totally free of signs and symptoms if beyond 2 weeks.

Customer :

I wear contacts, should i not wear both contacts for 7 to 10 days, how will i see ? i dont have glasses or money to get them right now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, contact lenses must not be worn during a viral infection of the eye.

Customer :

I tried clear eyes, didn''t help, i used Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution USP the dr. perscribed for me. will the refresh tears work

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Refresh tears is also a lubricating eye drops which would help the tear film to be intact. The underlying viral conjunctivitis will take its own time to heal by 7-10 days.

Customer :

so i can use the refresh tears and probally within 7-10 days will be o.k. then

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, normally that is the duration of a viral conjunctivitis.

Customer :

I thank you so much, could i maybe get a real cheap pair of like, i guess their reading glasses at walmart or the dollar store, im blind with both my contacts out. up close like this is ok, but thats it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

what is your contact lens power?

Customer :

how do i find that out

Customer :

can i just try glasses on until i find a pair that i can see close and far away

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be difficult to buy a pair of ready made bifocal glasses without knowing the power of the lenses. Or you can get them after testing with an optician for temporary use.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The power of lense is written on the box of the lenses.

Customer :

i threw the box out the other week, can i just ask my eye dr and he should tell me. then could i get a pair at walmart or the dollar store

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You must be very short sighted if the vision without contact is just as close as this.

Customer :

yes, pretty much

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes you could enquire about your contact lens power and then take glasses one dioptre more than the lenses.

Customer :

i can see, but things are pretty blurry

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Getting to but glasses without a prescription is a bit difficult as one needs to know if there is any astigmatism too and whether there is any cylindrical correction is needed.

Customer :

one dioptre more, could you please give me an example

Customer :

i think everything is fine except my problem now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If your contact lens was -4.0 dioptre then your spectacle correction would be -4.5 dioptre ( not exactly one but 0.5 dioptre is what is needed).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

contact lenses are 0.5 dioptre undercorrected than glasses. In other words glasses are always 0.5 dioptre more than contacts.

Customer :

my eye dr. could tell me what to get, will the glasses at walmart or the dollar store work. does it show what the dioptre is or do i ask the person

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Only reading glasses are readily available and these are plus lenses. So they would not be of any use to you. You would need minus dioptre glasses which are prescription based. Yes it is better to call up your ophthalmoilogist's office and enquire before going to any opticals.

Customer :

i thank you so much. i will do first thing in the morning. there''s nothing i can do right now then, since i only have clear eyes and that didn''t help

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.