Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

I was just reading an article on my phone when pain occurred

Customer Question

I was just reading an article on my phone when pain occurred in my left eye. I put down the phone and noticed my eye watering and the pain increasing. I closed the eye and covered it with my hand which seemed to help. I later noticed that the pain diminished when looking at something at a distance but increased when needing to look at something near. After taking a couple of aspirins and avoiding using near vision, the pain seems to be leaving, but I am wondering if this is something to be concerned about, what happened and how I can avoid this type of thing in the future.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am currently online and able to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Susan :

Hello

Dr. Susan :

How is the eye now?

Dr. Susan :

Are you still tearing?

Dr. Susan :

Are you still typing? I do not see your response.

Dr. Susan :

There must be a glitch in the system...

Dr. Susan :

I just hope that you an see what I am typing

Customer:

Much better, though I still 'baby' it to avoid minor pain when trying to view something near or when needing to frequently changing focus when going about performing tasks.

Dr. Susan :

So you notice it only when you look down or try to focus?

Customer:

Exactly

Dr. Susan :

I believe what may have happened is a small foreign body may have flown into your eye and given you a very small abrasion. We blink less when trying to focus and this makes the eye a bit more vulnerable. It may have even just been a lash or dry skin.

Dr. Susan :

There is also a condition that causes spasms in the eye muscles of the eye when trying to focus but that condition does not cause tearing.

Dr. Susan :

And it usually occurs in teenagers or young adults.

Dr. Susan :

Are you still with me?

Customer:

OK. It seems to be steadily getting better and it sounds like it's not much to be concerned about.

Dr. Susan :

I agree- if it is a small abrasion it will fully heal in a few hours- 24h at most. Keep the eye well lubricated with artificial tears and no contact lenses if you do wear lenses.

Dr. Susan :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

That's all. Thank you.

Dr. Susan :

I hope that I have helped answer your question today. Please press the ACCEPT button so that I may earn credit for my efforts!!! Thank you.

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Just checking to see how the eye is doing. Hopefully it has returned to normal. If not please let me know and we can talk about it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still a little pain, but much better. The incident had more to do with pain behind eye than anything on the surface of the eye itself. Felt like maybe some muscle was 'pulled' or something. Anyway, no more reading fine print for a while.