Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Six years ago I had cataract surgery and lens implants. Yesterday

Six years ago I had cataract surgery and lens implants. Yesterday I noticed a comma shaped "floater" in my left eye. There areno other symptoms.
Could the lens implant have shifted?
If I look steadily in one direction for several seconds, It disappears.
My ophthalmologist is far away and cannot see me until April 24.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

It is not related to the floater.

Dr. James :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together, common after cataract surgery. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems. If it is just the floater and no other symptoms, then you should be able to wait until April 24th.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.