Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What causes sudden, temporary loss of vision in one eye (I

What causes sudden, temporary loss of vision in one eye (I have been blind in the other eye since birth) with no other apparent symptoms?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Can tell me more? How long did the vision loss last?
Were you lights-out blind in the affected eye during the event or was it like looking through a gray fog?
Or something else?
Did it seem like someone was using a dimmer switch to "turn off/down" your vision? If so, did it return the same way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was like a gray fog and like the dimmer switch and it returned the same way it went.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information.

It sounds like what you are suffering from is something called Amaurosis fugax (AF).

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your need to know what to do.

AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.

Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.

I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

I know that this is a lot for you to all of a sudden be told....I am standing by online and am available to discuss this issue for as long as you would like.....even after you press the accept button :-)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I was just thinking about you and wondering if your workup has turned up anything? If you have a chance, drop me a note and let me know how you are doing.