Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have uveitis in my right eye. For a couple of months, the

I have uveitis in my right eye. For a couple of months, the pupil in my left eye has appeared bigger than normal on occasions and I am sooooo sensitive to light I have to wear sun glasses. It reacts to light fine. I have had this eye checked by several opthamologists who can find NOTHING wrong with the eye. Can anxiety cause an enlarged pupil (I had a big stressful operation to right eye just before the left played up) or could being on/tapering prednisone oral cause an enlarged pupil? Could it be an adrenal insufficiency?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Since you have uveitis in your right eye, the pupil in that eye is expected to be small and the eye would be sensitive to light. It appears like the left eye is reacting normally to different conditions such as anxiety wherein the pupil dilates while the right eye with uveitis is failing to do so( though it reacts well to light). Since the eyes have been checked by many ophthalmologists who have found nothing wrong, ti is likely to be due to anxiety only. Steroids have no role to play on the size of the pupils at all.It is also not due to any adrenal insufficiency too ( as this condition has many significant systemic signs and symptoms and pupils alone cannot be their manifestation).

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist