Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

I am currently on treatment for glaucoma using timoptol eye

I am currently on treatment for glaucoma using timoptol eye drop as recommended by my doctor in Nigeria. While travelling to the UK for easter break, I forgot to carry my eye drop with me.For 10 days now,I have not applied the drop on my eyes.Doctor,will you advise that I get the drug here in the UK or can I wait until I get back to Nigeria in another 10 days time. If it is advisable to get the drug while still in the UK, how can I do this when i don't have the prescription here with me. Thank you.Mr.Tinko.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
Mr Tinko- you really should start your timolol sooner than later! This is especially true if you have a advanced glaucoma. Luckily timolol is a readily available eyedrop throughout the world! But you do need a prescription for it because it has cardiac risk factors. You can have any physician write you a prescription, preferably an ophthalmologist whom can also check your pressures. But an internist can write it as well. Worst case scenario is that you don't use it for another 10 days, as soon as you return to Nigeria, see your eye specialist!