Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

It seems that I have floaters and my doctor tells me that nothing

It seems that I have floaters and my doctor tells me that nothing can be done about it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am currently online and able to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Susan : Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for floaters. In extreme cases where ones vision is affected, a vitrectomy may be the only answer. A vitrectomy is a procedure whereby the vitreous, or jel inside of the eye will be removed. This procedure has certain risks that do not make it a safe treatment for mild cases of floaters.
Dr. Susan : The floaters that you are experiencing are a normal part of maturing. In most people, the brain learns to adapt to them and in a few weeks to months, you will no longer be annoyed by them. Of course keep an "eye" out for the signs of a retinal tear- shower of floaters, lots of flashing lights, a veil over your vision. If you notice these- call your ophthalmologist!