Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have a floter in each eye. Can you advise me at to what this

I have a floter in each eye. Can you advise me at to what this problem might be?

Dr. James :

Dr. James :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

OK I want to tell you I've had the first in the right eye for 6 months or more and I noticed the one in my left eye about a week ago. They look like tiny hairs.

I smoke does this mean anything?

It is recommended that you stop smoking, but that is not the cause of the floaters you have.