Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My right eye is swollen. The whites of the eye are swollen

My right eye is swollen. The 'whites' of the eye are swollen very large and the actual eye/iris is not swollen. I thought I had a spec in my eye and rubbed it, then fell asleep for a half hour. Now it is extremely swollen. Should I take a tylenol and go to bed or do I have to mess with this now at night? It's giving me a head ache just to look and type this.

Two weeks ago or more I had eye drops for 'pink eye'. I have those drops handy.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you know the name of the eye drops given for the pink eye?

Customer:

polymixin B sulfate and trimethoprin opthalalic solution

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But for the swollen right eye, is there any redness/pain/watering or photophobia( intolerence to bright light) in the right eye?

Customer:

feels tight, intolerance to light.

Customer:

I also have RA, but never have eye problems with it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

So it is only the white of the right eye that is swollen and not the eyelids, right?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Swelling of the white part of the eye( conjunctiva) is called conjunctival chemosis. It is just an edema due to excessive rubbing of the eye. It should subside on its own within a day or two. As long as there is no redness/pain or watering in that eye, the chemosis does not need any specific treatment.

Customer:

ok then I'll try to go to bed with it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just take the analgesic for the pain, if possible give an eye wash if you feel there is any spec or dust in the eye.

Customer:

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Avoid rubbing the eye.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. In case there is any pain or watering or redness, consult an ophthalmologist as it could be from an embedded foreign body ( either corneal or sub-tarsal in the conjunctiva) or even an infection. In the absence of any of these symptoms, there is nothing to worry about chemosis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist