Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Why am i seeing halos around lights? im 20 myopic with over

Customer Question

Why am i seeing halos around lights? im 20 myopic with over corrected glasses and i noticed after a trial (over a month ago which i stopeed using after 3 days) that i have been seeing halos around lights, my optometrist ruled out glaucoma and said my eyes look fine. I dont think the halos are normal, at least to the extent that i am seeing them. i just started using over the counter moisturizing eye drops and its too soon to tell if they are working. I have no medical conditions. I do get migraines and numb pain in certain areas of my head. I use my computer all day and have an iphone so im pretty much staring at a screen all the time. the halo have little to no opacity, and i really can only see them when i look directly at the light, for example streetlights have a very little ( assuming the normal amount) of glow until im underneath them. I can still drive at night as the only time halos really affect me is when the light is shining directly at my eyes.

im just worried this may snowball into a bigger problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

yes i am

Doctor DanB : Have you been wearing contact lenses?
JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

i wore them for a couple of days, but for the most part no

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

ive been wearing glasses for a while

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

they werea trial pair

Doctor DanB : When did the halos start relative to this time period?
JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

i only noticed them right after i stopped wearing them (over amonth ago) it may have always been that way, but hte contacts gave me reason to scrutinize my vision

Doctor DanB : Contact lens use, even if for only a short time, can cause swelling in the cornea, which can cause the halos you saw. Does not make sense?
JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

yes it does, but for this long? i have not worn them for weeks. i have astigmatism and myopia and isuspect i was given a pair not tailored for people wiht astigmatism.

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

also shouldnt 2 optometrists have caught that?

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

id also like to note that i only see these halos when the light is shining directly to my eye

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

for example streetlights are in until i am directly underneath them, then i see halos, and the opacity increases

Doctor DanB : Optometrists are not medical doctors and don't have an extensive medical training in the medical diseases of the eye, so I'm not surprised two optometrists did not catch this.
JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

corneal edema is supposed to last that long?

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

if so how am i to treat it?

Doctor DanB : It can last long if untreated. You will need to see an ophthalmologist to see what needs to be prescribed to treat it.
JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

Also in the morning my vision is blurry, it gets better after i blink a few times, it feels as if there is alot of mucus or fluid. and i can see mucus ( more so than ever before) not only toward the folder closer to the nose but in my eyelashes as well

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

does that have any significance?

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

i also only noticed this after the contacts

JACUSTOMER-hjag9jzy- :

maybe a little later after i stopped

Doctor DanB : I think the contacts were responsible for this starting.