Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am a radiologist resident. Sunday I had my first episode

I am a radiologist resident. Sunday I had my first episode of iritis. I am using prednisolone 1% every 6 hours and cyclopentholate 1% every 8 hours. Can I keep reading my studies with all the computer light in my eye? I have no pain. And I have a staff who checks the sudies and I am not making any mistakes due to blurry vision. I am starting my Interventional rotation in 3 weeks. Is it better to avoid radiaton and switch the rotation, as my pupil is dilated?Would radiation make iritis worse?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

hello

Dr. James :

With your eyes dilated, are you having any trouble reading your studies?

Customer:

No. I have problems reading the reports, but as the left eye is fine, I am doing the work as always.

Dr. James :

When did the iritis start?

Customer:

I am just worried, because I do not want to put my sick eye to work more than it should. And as ophtalmologist asked me to wear dark glasses, then I thought, wait a minute, I cannot use dark glasses to give my reports

Customer:

The problem started last sunday

Dr. James :

When are you scheduled to see your ophthalmologist again?

Customer:

next thursday

Dr. James :

and you scheduled to stay on the steroid eye drops 4x/day until then?

Customer:

Yes. And also the cycloplegis 3x/day.

Dr. James :

With regards XXXXX XXXXX original question of the dilation and working, it should not adversely affect your eyes.

Dr. James :

if you feel that you can work with your eyes dilated, then continue to do so.

Dr. James :

The radiation will affect the eyes dilated or not. so the standard precautions still apply.

Customer:

So working and focusing direct on computer light wont make this iritis worse, right?

Dr. James :

With treatment of iritis, the prednisolone is the medicine use for treatment, and the cyclopentolate is mostly for pain control.

Dr. James :

Since you are on prednisolone 4x/day, it tells me your inflammation is mild to moderate, not severe.

Customer:

For the radiation, the problem is that I already use glasses, so I do not have lead glasses that would protect my eyes.

Dr. James :

No, working more will not make the iritis worse. with your eyes dilated, it can strain your eyes more if you work more though.

Dr. James :

I'm not sure if I am understanding your concern regarding the radiation. do you normally wear lead glasses?

Customer:

On monday I was using every 2 hours, but on tuesday, he said it was the same on monday, without any improvement, but changed to 4 x/day.

Customer:

No, I never use lead glasses

Customer:

BEcause I use my glass glasses

Customer:

And there is no lead glasses I could use together with my glass glasses

Dr. James :

with the dilation, you don't need any other special precautions than you normally use.

Dr. James :

If you iritis is improved, you may ask your ophthalmologist if you can stop the cyclopentolate and use the Pred Forte only.

Customer:

Good, I was afreid I would hurt my eye more than it is already hurt

Customer:

How long does it take for the vision to be good again, or it can be impaired forever?

Dr. James :

if the iritis is mild, your vision should return to normal after the inflammation resolves and the dilating drops wears off.

Dr. James :

with cyclopentolate, it can take 2-3 days after the last dose for the dilation to wear off.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX helped me a lot with these information.

Dr. James :

You are welcome.

Dr. James :

do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

No, thank you. HAve a good weekend and Happy Easter.

Dr. James :

You too!

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

Okay.