Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

The sclera of my right eye is blood shot (only on the outer

The sclera of my right eye is blood shot (only on the outer right side of the right eye) just wondering if there was anything i could do at home to get rid of it faster???
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Is it really red, like a piece of raw meat or kinda like bloody, or is it a bunch or bright red lines?

Is there any discomfort or did you notice it in the mirror?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I see you have read my above post. I'm still here and looking forward to hearing from you so we can figure out what is going on with your eye...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Dr. Rick my eye has alot of discomfort and it was caused from a physical fight I became involved in with my brother over our deceased father. But the eye is extremly red like raw meat and when i move the lower part of my eye lid the "tissue" kinda moves like there's a bubble of blood tht wont pot
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Ok....good news. Everything is going to be OK.

You have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Here is an excellent article of the topic:

Since you didn't mention any loss of vision or that you got hit in the eye or poked with a sharp stick during your (unfortunate) argument with your brother, there is nothing to worry about.

And...there is nothing you can do to make it go away faster. Don't waste your money on drops that "get the red out". They don't work on this type of redness ;)

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.