Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology
66045090

This morning I had a sudden episode of vertical double vision

Customer Question

This morning I had a sudden episode of vertical double vision in my left eye. It lasted only 5 minutes or so, but was bad enough that I had to lay down while it lasted. My left cheek felt slightly numb after and I continue to have a dull pain behind my left eye. Otherwise, I feel completely fine. ??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 5 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi I am Dr. Lewis and I would like to provide you with some information regarding your question.

Dr-Trace :

I am assuming you are in good health at age 39. What it sounds like you are experiencing is an ophthalmic migraine.

JACUSTOMER-mivb0cxr- :

yes, great health

Dr-Trace :

Do you take oral contraceptives.

JACUSTOMER-mivb0cxr- :

no

JACUSTOMER-mivb0cxr- :

any lasting concerns with this issue?

Dr-Trace :

I would like you to read a section of this website regarding migraine and diplopia http://www.livestrong.com/article/27594-signs-symptoms-basilar-migraine/ Most people hear the word migraine and they think of headache. Migraines can cause visual symptoms and double vision without any headache.

Dr-Trace :

There are no lasting concerns with this issue. If you have any other symptoms neurologically or these episodes repeat, it may be worth a trip to the neurologist to be evaluated and possibly treated for ophthalmic migraine.

JACUSTOMER-mivb0cxr- :

thanks! That's good news, actually!

Dr-Trace :

Glad I could be of help. Try and think back on possible triggers of this episode. Stress, caffeine, certain foods, MSG additives, sulfites, strobing lights, these are all things that could trigger a migraine.

JACUSTOMER-mivb0cxr- :

Actually several of those could be the culprit (lately). I will try to limit my exposure.

Dr-Trace :

Great. Glad I could help.

Dr-Trace :

Great. Glad I could be of help.

Dr-Trace :

Sorry, my computer is glitching and repeating. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Dr-Trace :

Feel free to reconnect if you have any other questions.

Dr-Trace :

Dr. T.

Dr-Trace :

Just watch your symptoms closely. If they recur, see the neurologist.

Dr-Trace :

I just wanted to touch base and make certain none of these symptoms ever recurred and that you followed up with a neurologist.

JACUSTOMER-mivb0cxr- : No recurrence and no new symptoms. Thanks for following-up.