Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Daughter 38 yrs old -- pupil completely dilated in one eye

Daughter 38 yrs old -- pupil completely dilated in one eye approx 2 hrs ago. Should we wait until morning to consult w/ eye doctor or go to emergency room? Ideas what this could be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : Does she have any drooping of her eyelid, double vision, significant eye or head pain, red eye, or decreased vision?
Doctor DanB : Are you still there?
Customer:

only decreased vision

Doctor DanB : Did she sustain any trauma to that eye or does she have any systemic medical problems like multiple sclerosis?
Customer:

no

Doctor DanB : Is her vision in that eye just mildly blurry or is it significantly worse than it used to be?
Customer:

in low lit room she can see but when light is introduced all objects separate just like an eye that has been dilated for opthamolic purposes

Doctor DanB : Has she been using any eye drops or even handling any eye drops? If not has she been using any inhalers or handling any motion sickness patches?
Customer:

she wears corrective lenses -- this is the stronger of her 2 eyes -- there has been no pain

Customer:

no to both your questions

Doctor DanB : I would say as long as there isn't significant eye or head pain, eye redness, drooping eyelid, double vision or markedly decreased vision, then I think she is probably okay to wait until the morning to see her ophthalmologist rather than rushing into the ER. However, if any of these were to occur, that would be grounds for going directly to the ER tonight. Does that make sense?
Customer:

yes, i understand

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

her father has had detached retinas -- could this be retina involved?

Doctor DanB : It's technically possible, but I would expect her to have significantly decreased vision, flashing lights, floating things in the vision and possibly seeing a curtain or veil over the vision if this were a retinal detachment. So it's rather unlikely.
Customer:

okay -- thank you very much

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.