Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What would cause someone, who has had aura migraines for close

What would cause someone, who has had aura migraines for close to 42 years, maybe one every 2-3 months, start experiencing them every week or so? Just had an appointment with an eye Neurologist, and checked the optic nerve, etc., and everything checked out fine ... lately, the person with the aura migraines (without headaches), felt dizzy, and almost to the point of fainting ... this is the first time this has ever happened ... what do you think this person should do next ... her eyes/optic nerves/ etc., have been checked and everything is ok... also, she is experiencing stiff neck with shoulder pain ... not sure if this has any bearings on the aura migraines. Thank you for your kind assistance.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sound like she has done the correct thing in consulting with a neurologist. Was she, however, examined by an ophthalmologist as well?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I look forward to hearing from you so that we can work on your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the person has been to an opthalmologist twice a year for 10 years, ever since having a torn left eye Retina, back in 2002...
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It is entirely possible that her migraines are becoming much more frequent. There are other, less common, issues that can cause visual aura's like a migraine and I'm sure that the neurologist will check for them.

I don't, however, like the fact that she dizzy enough to almost faint. It would be important in her case to do a complete physical exam and lab workup to rule out other issues such as diabetes, thyroid issues, HTN, and cardiac disease.

It sounds like she is on the right track. Hopefully the doctors will be able to get to the bottom her problem soon.

Does this make sense to you?