Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My name is XXXXX XXXXX years ago I called ask-a-nurse with

Customer Question

My name is XXXXX XXXXX years ago I called ask-a-nurse with symptoms of yellow eyes, itchy skin & loss of appetite. They said it sounded like hepatitis. I have never been officially diagnosed with hepatitis and I have not seen any recurrence of any symptoms. My question is for my boyfriend who just learned of my history and is now afraid of my mouth... does he have anything to worry about?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. And the answer depends upon a number of things. First of all, did you have hepatitis decades ago? If you did, what type was it? And if you had hepatitis, are you one of the patients who rid their body of the virus without any treatment?

Dr. Rick :

And, the biggest question, Has your boyfriend come in contact with your mouth already, even before he got worried? Because if he has, then the question is kinda moot already, don't you think?

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

Like I said, I was never diagnosed and received no treatment

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

thats exactly what I think

Dr. Rick :

If you are worried you can get tested to see if you have active infection or if you have ever been exposed. Perhaps time for a new boyfriend? ;-)

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

he is new... I am not worried, I was in a 13 year relationship and had a baby, still in perfect health

Dr. Rick :

I think you are fine and this guy is a worry wort.

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

just wanted to ease his concerns because I am quite sure that is what I had.

Dr. Rick :

Tell him not to worry....but if he seems worth keeping you could get tested to make him feel better....but seems like he's gonna be kinda high maintenance, if you know what I mean.

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

and say I did have hepetitis, should anyone be concerned of having contact with me

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

?

Dr. Rick :

No. Just because you might test positive for past exposure to hepatitis doesn't mean you are gonna go around and give it to everyone you meet.

Dr. Rick :

Even people with active disease don't give it to their family...it's not like a flu virus or pink eye...

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

could I spread it to someone who is susceptibile?

Dr. Rick :

Depends....on what type you have, what your immune system is doing etc....these questions really mean very little until you have the facts in hand of what subtype of the virus have, (if you even have it) how it is affecting you, etc, etc etc.

Dr. Rick :

If you are worried your primary care MD can do a hepatitis panel on you....

Dr. Rick :

But I'd not let your boyfriends concerns drive you to getting all worked about it...

JACUSTOMER-yfcq3otm- :

I think 20 years should speak for its self, I am not concerned. Thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.