Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

I abruptly stopped the lisinopril/hctz 50/12.5 with my doctors

Customer Question

I abruptly stopped the lisinopril/hctz 50/12.5 with my doctor's approval because no one caught that it was a sulfa drug and I've been allergic to sulfa since age 15. Not sure how the pharmacy and doctor missed that but my blood pressure is holding steady so far. We couldn't figure out why my lips had been itching, peeling, burning for all this time. I figured it out because I started Lithium and knew the hctz could raise my level, when I was researching hctz, it popped up that it was a sulfa drug. Anyway, I stopped it last week and the very next day, pockets of fluid started accumulating under my eye (right above cheekbone.) I look 80 instead of 40. I don't have any finger or leg edema, just under eye fluid. I have tried everything from cold spoons, massage remedies I found online, under eye rollers with caffeine, etc. Am I doomed? What can I do? It seems to be getting worse and I can actually see it when I look to the side. It's like depressed and then a big pocket of fluid down at the bone line.

I only had this once before a few years ago when I attempted to get filler in that tear trough area and it did not agree with me...they removed the filler and gave me Lasix....which I can't do because it's more sulfa.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am currently online and able to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Susan :

Unfortunately, lower eye edema (swelling) takes a long time to resolve. The fluid accumulates in the fat behind the skin and unlike other areas takes longer than normal. I have two bits of advice for you- 1) patience and 2) this is antecdotal but I have seen Preparation H (yes the type for hemorrhoids) to help. A very small amount applied to the skin above the area two times per day. Stay away from the eyelid margin where the lashes are and then make sure to wash you hand. Try this for a few days.

Dr. Susan :

I hope that his has been helpful to you. Please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may earn credit for my efforts. Any POSITIVE feedback that you may have will be much appreciated.

Dr. Susan :

I see that you are online now.

Dr. Susan :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer :

I forgot to say that I have tried that at well....I guess it's large sunglasses for awhile.

Dr. Susan :

Oh so you had heard of this beauty tip too!

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

There really is nothing else at this time except for a blepharoplasty down the line. It will take a few weeks for the swelling to improve.

I hope that this has been helpful to you today. Please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may earn credit for my effort and my time. Best of luck!