Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

RA - RB

Customer Question

My botXXXXX XXXXXp is swollen and the skin is red next to it. It has been chapped for several days before. My gums on the lower mouth are tender as is the tip my tongue making eating anything with texture, vinegar or spice almost painful.
This happened on a month or two ago and went away. There seems to be a connection with what is going on with my eye. I have a detached retinna with a cornea problem and have been seeing several specialists for over a year. I am currently on medication, one of which is Pred Forte and have been for some time. The eye is doing better. That is the pattern that happened before. As the eye gets better, the mouth gets a problem and as the mouth gets better, the eye becomes worse. Is this some kind of infection? What is going on here?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Is the cause of your eye infection herpes?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

do you know what is causing your eye issue?

Customer:

A scar on the cornea has difficulty healing. The cornea itself is not healthy and I am seeing a cornea expert.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, there are a number of virus' that can cause both a retinal, corneal and mouth issues like you are discussing. To tell you the truth, as you most likely already know, your eye issue is not a simple, straight forward one......without a complete review of your past medical history, treatment course, various studies, and doing a complete exam personally, it will be almost impossible for me to come up with a meaningful answer to your question of what is going on. I'm sure you can understand the limitations I am facing with "chat" as my only diagnostic tool :-)

Dr. Rick :

That being said, it does sound like you have been getting excellent care. Would you be interested in getting a second opinion/treatment options from other experts who may be able to work together to give you more information on what is going on?

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Dr. Rick :

I see you have stepped out of the chat room....

Dr. Rick :

Here is what I would recommend:

Dr. Rick :

At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No more information, you are not able to help me. Cancel the whole thing. CANCEL!!!