Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have noticed some redness, puffiness and itching on my eyelids

Customer Question

I have noticed some redness, puffiness and itching on my eyelids intermittently for a few weeks, yesterday I also noticed for the first time my vision seems slightly blurred.
I do not wear glasses but do use simple over the counter readers. My last eye exam in Oct-1011 shows 20/20 vision with need for readers. I am 60 yrs old. I notice even reading yesterday and today there is slight blurring.
I am diligent about caring for my eyes and cleaning my face of any makeup every night without fail. Never share makeup and have not been using it for several days. Diligent handwasher, do not have pets in house, not around many people, have not changed any normal products I have been using. Never had anything like this. Live in rural area, not a lot of immediate medical personnel. Would appreciate a comment. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

This sounds very characteristic for allergic dermatitis. The swelling of the eyelids, alone, can be causing the vision to be slightly blurry as can some allergy inflammation in the eye itself.

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

In order to treat this, there a few things you can do.

I would also suggest getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Also, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation. If these measures aren’t enough, then I would recommend using an allergy eye drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. Lastly, if all of these measures are still not enough, then I would recommend trying to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

no

Doctor DanB :

Good luck with treating this. I hope you do better.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

thank you

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure.