Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

The caruncula of my eyes are covered with little "whitehead"-like

The caruncula of my eyes are covered with little "whitehead"-like bumps. My eyes are often burning despite liberal use of Systane. I have been treated for glaucoma with Xalatan for over ten years and am miserable. Can you tell me whether the appearance of the caruncula is normal? My ophthalmologist seems unconcerned as my eye pressure is under control. Thank you so much.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do your eyes itch significantly?
Doctor DanB : This is not an uncommon appearance to the caruncle and the appearance by itself usually isn't a cause for concern. Sometimes this can be seen with allergies, but if the eye isn't significantly itchy, then this likely isn't going on either. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this? It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

Thank you. Itchiness is not a problem for me but stinging and fatigue are. I wonder if I'm allergic to Xalatan to some degree. I am considering trying laser correction of the glaucoma--what is your opinion of that? My doctor is toying with the idea but not terribly enthusiastic. In any event, I am relieved to find that the appearance of the caruncula is not indicative of a problem--although a simple answer to my discomfort would have been nice...