Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is there any relationship between skin scarring and the potential

Is there any relationship between skin scarring and the potential for corneal scarring? I am considering Lasik but my skin scars very easily & I wonder if that indicates potential poroblems for eye surgery. I've gotten two different answers from two Lasik surgeons.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, I think the reason you got two different responses from two different LASIK surgeons is because there is no clear-cut answer with this dilemma. If you just have a normal scarring response in general, but one that happens to be moreso than your contemporaries (maybe quicker scarring, and more reliably scarring than healing), then I don't think that makes you a poor candidate for LASIK, but the degree to which someone's body is aggressive at scarring is very individual and difficult to predict. However...

Doctor DanB :

some people are prone to keloid formation and if you are one of these people, or trend towards that side of healing, then I think corneal refractive surgery is probably not the best or safest option for you.

Customer:

However?

Doctor DanB :

Did you see the rest of my however?

Customer:

Yes. No doctor has indicated that I am prone to keloid formation. Would there be any value is asking my primary physician or gynecologist their advice be worthwhile?

Doctor DanB :

I think if you have a long-standing physician/patient relationship with your primary care doctor and they have been able to observe your scarring response, then yes, I think their opinion might be valuable in this instance. If you're wanting to know if they could add anything to this discussion independent of their first-hand knowledge of your scarring tendencies, I think they would probably be the first to plead ignorance of it's effect on eye surgery (as most primary care doctors don't dabble much in the eyes).

Customer:

I am seriously nearsighted & have an astigmatism so the surgery is very appealing. Are there other options you think worth exploring or asking about. I've put it off because of a very itinerant lifestyle but am settling in one location permanently so will have the ability to have long term relationship with a surgeon or opthamologist.

Customer:

My grammer is better than it appears...

Doctor DanB :

No worries about that; I think everyone's grammar worsens when chatting online. Other options to consider include a clear-lens exchange with a multifocal lens implant (this is essentially cataract surgery before you develop a cataract). The incisions are much smaller than those required for LASIK/PRK and you can still achieve very good vision independent from glasses; actually it might be better for you as you may be able to achieve a good deal of spectacle independence even for near and/or intermediate vision. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, thank you. Anything screaming at you that I'm not asking?

Doctor DanB :

No, actually, I think you're asking the right questions. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

No, I thought I had asked them all until I got the different answers. That threw me this morning and the second surgeon did advise the lens implant. Of course that is 3x the cost of the original surgeon's proposal to do PRK and who said there was no correlation between skin & corneal scarring.

Doctor DanB :

Hmmm... Yeah, I can see your confusion. That estimate seems a bit high, but the premium lens implants do cost a good bit of money. However, getting that relatively spectacle-free lifestyle (even at near and intermediate targets) definitely has its advantages.

Customer:

Thanks! More to think about....

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck!

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.