Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have shingles in my eye. How long does it last? How do

I have shingles in my eye. How long does it last? How do you treat eye shingles?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Is the shingles affecting your actual eyeball (cornea, uveitis) or is it on the lid/around you eyeball only?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

My opthamologist told me the eyeball itself is not injured. He looked at the retina, etc., as did another specialist. There is some inflammation, tearing and periodic stabbing pain and light still is painful to the eye. My eyeglasses were fitted with a prism as I was seeing double. I have had shingles for over two months now and while my doctor says he sees improvement, I am still in discomfort and would like to be able to know there is an end to this episode.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds like you have been getting excellent care and that the virus may have affected one of the nerves that moves your eyeball, thus the double vision. I am glad to hear that your eyeball, retina and eye pressure is not involved -- that is a good thing ;-)

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, as far as the intermittent pain is involved, there is very little that can be done to effectively deal with this issue....sorry about that.

Dr. Rick :

Now, concerning the double vision. Your doctors are correct. The only treatment available is a heavy dose of "tincture of time" In other words, just wait for your body to fix things by itself. The good news? Usually, within 3 to 6 months, things return to normal and your double vision will resolve.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Since your doctor is able to see improvement on exam, even though you can't appreciate it, means that things are going in the right direction and the light at the end of the tunnel actually means things will be better rather then another train is heading your way. ;-)

Customer:

Yes. To clarify, I can reasonably expect this to resolve itself within 3-6 months. Does that mean 3-6 months from the very beginning of the disease (the blisters/rash)? Is there any possibility that there can be permanent problems because of this?

Dr. Rick :

You are correct. The time frame starts from your first symptoms. But remember, in medicine all time frames are just estimates......

Dr. Rick :

Yes, there can be continued neurotrophic pain and sometimes the double vision doesn't go away...but yours is already showing improvement on exam, so that is a good thing and speaks toward your complete recovery. If HSZ involves your eyeball/retina etc all sorts of long-term bad things can happen...once again, this is not an issue for you as your actual eyeball is not involved.

Dr. Rick :

Does this seem to be what your ophthalmologist is telling you?

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD