Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I also have some retinal thickening but my cataract surgery

Customer Question

I also have some retinal thickening but my cataract surgery was six years ago. A small retinal tear was also repaired by laser around that time. One symptom that bothers me is a feeling of slight inebriation. Happens when I'm driving. No other signs and BP is normal and there is no diabetes. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me more about what you mean by this feeling of "slight inebriation"?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I look forward to your reply to my question so that we can continue to work on your issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This more perceptual than anything; like that of the mild "buzz" (without a change in mood, attitude, behavior,thinking or any other parameter)that you can get from a glass of wine. It appears to be related to the eye problem.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I've not known any ocular or retinal issue that would manifest only as a slight buzz without any other ocular or visual symptoms or findings....but, hey, I've only been a retinal surgeon for 20 years and know enough to know that I don't know everything. That is why is is called "practicing" medicine ;-)

I guess, if you haven't already done this, the first place to start would be a complete eye exam. If that all comes back normal then I'd hit up your internal medicine doc.

I just can't imagine a way that what you are experiencing now is related to your history of cataract surgery and a little bit of laser around a peripheral retinal tear...

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Now. If the doc's do find a correlation to an issue with your eye I would be forever in your debt if you would drop me a note and tell me all about it....

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your response is pretty much as expected; just doing a double check for my own comfort. I am a psychologist not a physician but I am married to one. Anyway, I will get the obligatory chem and cbc and meditate on whether it is worthwhile to actually go see a retinal specialist. BEcause of the thickening, the old scar cannot be seen.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm...a laser scar around a retinal tear should be visible for your entire life even with the expected scar formation.

It's no fun to be "an interesting case", eh?

What type of medicine does your wife practice?