Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

how can the swelling and bruisng around an eye be reduced

how can the swelling and bruisng around an eye be reduced quickly?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. How did the swelling and bruising come about? How long ago?

Customer:

Yesterday around 5 pm. My wife tripped on an object in our bedroom floor and hit her right eye on the corner of our treadmill. She slightly broke the fall with her arms.

Dr. Rick :

How is her vision and her eyeball itself? Any numbness of her upper lip or cheek under the affected eye? Any double vison?

Customer:

Her eyeball looks fine, no discoloration, no numbness, no vision problems

Dr. Rick :

Does she have a lot of bruising on her face?

Customer:

No just in the eye area, there is a slight abrasion on her cheek but you can hardly see it

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, ice packs will help with the swelling better then anything else. As far as the bruising goes, there is really nothing that you can do to influence how fast it goes away. As a matter of fact, if there is deep blood in the tissues the bruise could get worse over the next day or two. As you know, the bruise will change colors and maybe even spread a bit over the next few weeks as it goes away. Makeup is the only thing that will be able to "hide" it until then. Sorry about that :(

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes, how long on the swelling

Customer:

what is deep blood

Dr. Rick :

The swelling should go down in 24 hours with ice.

Dr. Rick :

Deep blood would be bleeding that occurs below the skin/superficial tissues, such as in the muscles of the face, or the potential spaces around the orbit etc.....not usually a problem

Customer:

How long should the ice stay in place? We have been soaking a wash cloth in ice water then placing it on her face.

Dr. Rick :

use ice cubes in a towel. 20 min on; 15 off

Dr. Rick :

there is no real "scientific" time to leave the ice in place.....go more by how she feels....

Customer:

Ok, anything else? Will a warm cloth help with the bruising

Dr. Rick :

Yes...but it can make the swelling worse....kinda a catch 22.....

Dr. Rick :

Use ice for 24 hours and then you can switch to warm compresses (not too hot) to help her body clean up the blood that is making up the bruise.

Customer:

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

I hope she feels better soon. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.