Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

The inside corner of my left eye is puffy, red and purple.

Customer Question

The inside corner of my left eye is puffy, red and purple. It itches so bad on the skin in the corner like with allergies. My eyes are not red. My eyes are not draining yellow fluid.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. how long has this been going on? Does your eye tear a lot or feel like something is in it?

Dr. Rick :

Oops....I've got the accept button turned off while we work on your question.....

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat/

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Is there a bump there?

JACUSTOMER-5mlxlbgz- :

I just found this page. It is not teary....itches very bad

Dr. Rick :

Ok. This may be, as you might have already thought, an allergy. What can happen with allergies, however, is that it many times goes hand in hand with dry eyes and blepharitis. The good news? There is a home treatment you can do that helps a lot in the majority of cases:

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Here is a good article on Blepharitis:

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you may have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nancy Dollar wrote: Should I stop using the neosporin?? The itching is irritating? What will stop the itching?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
That is an excellent question. As I don't think that there is a bacterial infection going on, you can stop the neosporin ointment. For the itching you can use some OTC hydrocortizone 1% cream. Just put a small amount on the area 2 to 3x/day. This, along with OTC oral allergy meds should help a lot with the itching.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.