Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what std could be checked for by way of a blood test.... to

Customer Question

what std could be checked for by way of a blood test.... to see if a reason for blood vessels being formed lots behind the eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer :

thankyou

Customer :

so......what std could be checked for by a blood test... to see if a reason for blood vessels which are growing quicly behind an eye?

Dr. Rick :

Are you worried about a STD (sexually transmitted disease)? Also, tell me more about these blood vessels....where are they forming? How have they affected your vision etc?

Customer :

this is my partners problem, he has been haing laser surgery on his eyes die to a diabetic related eye prob, but they are concerned that the blood vessels are growing rapidly behind one eye, an he was asked today re std? and a bloo test taken.

Dr. Rick :

There is no std that would cause blood vessels to grow in the back a a diabetic person's eye (proliferative retinopathy). As a retina surgeon I can assure you of this and, also, that there is no need for a blood test to figure out why the abnormal blood vessels are destroying his vision. It is weird that they would even ask.

Customer :

this is what i thought, and asked him about it a couple of times to be sure i had heard him right. but he def said a blood test taken to ch for poss std which may be causing it! i was shocked!

Dr. Rick :

Ya....somewhere the communication broke down there ;-)

Dr. Rick :

You have no need to worry that your partner has a STD due to the fact that he needs lasr treatment for his proliferative diabetic retinopathy.....I hope this makes you (and him) feel better.

Dr. Rick :

Also, make sure he is being treated by an ophthalmologist (MD) for his eyes......

Customer :

it has lifted a weight off of mind, thankyou. i wish i knew what was sai now,, if he misheard! hes being treating at moorfield eye hospital in london.

Dr. Rick :

Moorfields is one of the best eye hospitals in the entire world. He is in good hands there. Perhaps he heard wrong???

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

i hope so! but he did seem pretty sure, as it shocked him to!

Dr. Rick :

Well, ask them next time he goes back....but I just can't imagine that you are at any risk given what you have told me....no need to cut him off lol!

Customer :

lol. thanu x

Dr. Rick :

Your welcome

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.