Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, I had cough, soar throat and this chronic head ache..still

Customer Question

Hi, I had cough, soar throat and this chronic head ache..still got the cough and throat. I took advil ibuprofen and mucinex for the last 3 i got a nasal inhaler for congestion and I woke up with my eyes super red and feeling really sick...
the soar throat is still there and the cough has got stuff coming out every time i cough.
my eyes are still read but not as read as this morning
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. It sounds like you may have a cold that has now spread to your eyes and caused pink eye.

Dr. Rick :

Since this is caused by a virus, antibiotic drops or pills will not help...

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do for your eyes is to use artificial tears 4x/day, and as needed, along with cold compresses to soothe your eyes. This type of infection lasts about a week and goes away on it's own with no lingering side effects.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry I wasnt here, went to buy dayquil cold and flu..can we chat now please?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Sure. I'm here and we can "chat" using this system. It's a little bit slower but works fine.

What would you like to ask me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, what drugs can i buy otc? and did i mention my nose is dripping too..and i bought dayquil ..and is it ok to take all this stuff on an empty stomach cos im not hungry and i dont have an appetite..
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Yes. It is OK to take all that stuff on an empty stomach....and it sounds like you have already picked out the correct meds available OTC to help with your symptoms.

When you get hungry, soup would be good.....per my mom, Chicken soup is best ;-)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, i stopped taking the mucinex for 2 days now, i have been using ny&dayquil and advil ibuprofen...I still feel the same way, my eyes are still soo red and the cough is even harder...I smoke weed sometimes, does this have anything to do with it?

Also what other drugs can I take, and like how long is this going last?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please reply
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I don't think a little bit of smoking weed is causing your problem. However, while you are all congested it wouldn't hurt to refrain from smoking. As to how long it is going to last, there is no way to predict that....colds/flu last different times for different people, different strains of the virus etc. Usually though the worst part is over in about a week....

It sounds like you are taking all the correct OTC meds available. If things don't show a bit or improvement in the next few days, or should you take a turn for the worse it would probably be best to consult with your primary care MD...