Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I should mention that I have been wearing my contact in my

I should mention that I have been wearing my contact in my right eye during this time that my left eye is healing. Since the retinal tear I have had headaches. Last night and definitely today I have been dizzy which is making me feel nauseous. Would this be a result of my eyes not working together? or what may be the cause of this? I have been wearing a patch over my left eye as this helps to eliminate headaches and nausea.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is OK to wear your contact in your right eye. One of the issues with your high myopia and the changes in the refraction after your cataract surgery is that you may be experiencing anisometropia with aniseikonia. This can cause the headaches, dizziness and nausea you have been experiencing. Here is a good article that explains what these fancy words actually mean:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.glassescrafter.com/information/Anisometropia-Aniseikonia.html

Dr. Rick :

Another thing that I have to worry about is that the pressure inside your operated eye, the one that had the laser treatment could be really high. Very high eye pressure can also cause all the symptoms you are having. The one thing that makes me think that this might not be the problem is that you notice your headaches and nausea are better when you wear an eye patch. If high pressure was causing your problems, an eye patch would not improve things. So. That's good news.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? I think you will be OK and you are doing the right thing by wearing the patch. Once your other eye has cataract surgery your eyes will be much closer to each other in prescription and this issue should go away.

Dr. Rick :

By the way, how's the blob/floaters doing? Does your retina seem to be settling down?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I am still seeing the light flashes. The blob is the same size, but sometimes not as dark as it was this past week.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Glad to hear it. Let me know if there is anything else i can do to help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it normal to still see light flashes?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is normal to still see flashes. They should go away as the vitreous detaches.