Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Was walking today around golf course and bug flew in eye.

Was walking today around golf course and bug flew in eye. I rubbed out, but was mile and half from home and it felt like something in eye still.Took while to walk back home and rinse out eye. Oak pollen is out profuseky too. Nose stopped up. Have rinsed eye with tap water several times. Tonight eye tearing and red. Feels like sand in it. Put Visine-A allergy relief in eye. Eye irritated and tearing. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all stop using the visine....that stuff will just irritate your eye more....

Customer: do I need to do anything or just let it rest?
Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a corneal abrasion from the bug. In the vast majority of cases this does not lead to a corneal infection and heals up without any long term damage within 24 to 36 hours.

Dr. Rick :

However, until it heals.....and especially when you go into REM sleep tonight......you are gonna be a miserable puppy :(

Customer: So I just try to leave it Lone?
Dr. Rick :

I'd use natural tears to soothe your eye and put some bland ointment such as Refresh PM or lacrilube (there are many brand names) in your eye right before bedtime.

Customer: Okay will do.
Customer: Thanks
Dr. Rick :

There is a small chance that one of the little hairs off the bugs leg got stuck under your eyelid or in your cornea....I've seen this on a number of occasions. So. If your eye is still bothering you tomorrow afternoon try to have an ophthalmologist take a look at you.

Customer: Okay
Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. At least now you have an excuse for your golf game :) By the way, would you like to hear a funny golf joke my father-in-law just sent me today?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Rick :

At no additional charge, of course ;)

Customer: Yes thanks
Dr. Rick :

Ok...

Dr. Rick :

What if you were playing in the club championship tournament finals and
the match was halved at the end of 17 holes. You had the honour and hit
your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the
fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin. Your opponent then hits
his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway.
Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look
for his ball. Just before the permitted five minute search period ends,
your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't
find it in time, I'll concede the match."

You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet
from the pin. About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your
opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!". The second
sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball and the
ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no
more than six inches from the hole.
Now here is the ethical dilemma:

Do you pull the cheating bastard’s ball out of your pocket and confront
him with it or do you keep your mouth shut?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

It is a real dilemma, eh?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I was just thinking about you and wondering if you eye is back to normal by now....it should be...