Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, My husbands eyes have been changing from brown to

My husband's eyes have been changing from brown to green. He has also been having trouble seeing clearly at times, but his eye dr. said he had dry eyes. Should we
be worried about disease or anything?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. It is not unusual for the color of your eyes to change slightly with age and, of course, dry eyes would not have anything to do with that.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that he is suffering from more then just dry eyes. Many times dry eye issues go hand in hand with allergies and blepharitis. The good news is that there is a simple home treatment he can do that will address all three issues and, hopefully get him feeling better:

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Here is a good article on Blepharitis:

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has periods when his vision is blurred, would this be another symptom of the Blepharitis you refered to?

He hasn't personally notices dry eyes, as much as discoloration, and off and on blurred vision. Will his eyes return to brown again???

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Intermittent blurry vision sure could be from the blepharitis.

It is possible to not notice that your eyes are "dry" and still have issues with abnormal tear film and eye irritation. As a matter of fact sometimes when your eyes are "dry" and irritated they make more tears....this is the "something is in my eye" mode of tear production, not the "my eye feels fine and I'm making tears to keep things moist" mode. The use of natural tears will help your eye turn off the flood of "something in my eye" tears that comes from your eyes being dry.

I think the issue with the color change is something different. This may be caused by a normal condition called arcus. This is nothing to be concerned about and, no, the color will not change back in this case. Here is a good webpage on this condition:

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.