Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology
66045090

oblong shaped lump on right eye on the outside

Customer Question

Hi, My dad has an oblong shaped lump on right eye on the outside of the sclera , underneath his top eye lid. What might that be ? He noticed it a couple weeks ago, now he says it's hurting, at first he thought he had like an eyelash in his eye. Also, his eye is all red and blood shot. Thanks for any assistance !  I forgot to mention, Dad had a stroke in 2002, not sure if that helps or not.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 5 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi - I am Dr. Lewis and I would like to answer your question.

Dr-Trace :

Without examining your dad, I can't be certain but it sounds like your dad may have a nodular scleritis. The lump is red and painful. This is consistent with scleritis. It definitely requires a trip to the ophthalmologist for treatment. Without treatment, it can get worse and the vision could be affected.

Dr-Trace :

Until he gets to the doctor, it is worth taking motrin 200 mg 2 tablets every six hours unless he has been told not to take motrin or aspirin. He should get to the doc within a day or so if possible.

Dr-Trace :

I hope this helps answer and if you would like to chat some more, I will definitely be available to you.

Customer :

The lump isnt red, it's kind of a light flesh color , I just took a picture of it, maybe that will help more.

Customer :

Lump On Dads Eye
Full Size Image

Customer :

I Hope This Helps , Thank You Very Much

Customer :

Hi again, I just asked him if it was painful and he said it's irritating ... but this comes from a man who 5 years ago had 6 kidney stones and didn't even feel it and only found out because of an operation on his intestines that was tangled up from scar tissue. Thanks Again

Customer :

???

Dr-Trace :

Now that you have taken a photo of the lesion, this does not look like a scleritis. There are a number of things it can be, and I do not want to hazard a guess just based upon a photo, but it should be looked at by an ophthalmologist within the next week or so.

Dr-Trace :

The most common type of lesion in this area is benign - an orbital lipoma - see site http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=orbital+lipoma&view=detail&id=147F3A0245A4D56E18ED99E60D1AAD8494E16D36&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

Dr-Trace :

But I would not assume this is what your dad has. Have him see his ophthalmologist.

Dr-Trace :

Hope this helps.

Dr-Trace :

Dr. T.