Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology
66045090

A friend at my workplace has (dry) Macular degeneration (female,

Customer Question

A friend at my workplace has (dry) Macular degeneration (female, age 49). Her condition is related directly to her having pseudoxanthoma elasticum. She does have some vision loss in one eye. In this eye, the retina detached about 6-8 years ago and was surgically repaired.

My friend's blood pressure is excellent (consistently about 95 over 65). Her weight is good (5' 2", 120 lbs). Her total cholesterol is < 200. She tries to eat correctly. She is a non-smoker. In addition, she consumes supplements that are considered helpful for maintaining healthy eyes.

She has receintly undergone Avastin Eye injections to control abnormal blood vessels.

My question—Is there any evidence that suggests supplements can strengthen the brush’s membrane??

I found a specific supplement (Macucure, distrubuted by Synticare Corp) in which one tablet has 100mg Lutin, 10mg Zeaxanthin and 30 mg Bilberry and I was wondering if this would be helpful to strengthen the Brush's membrane....
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 4 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi I am Dr. Lewis and I would be happy to help you with your question.

Dr-Trace :

There is no evidence supported by the American Academy of Ophthalmology that any supplements can strengthen Bruch's membrane.

Dr-Trace :

Having said this, the evidence does not exist because the studies have not been done.

Dr-Trace :

What we do know about macular degeneration is that part of the disease results from drusen - which are clumps of waste products in the retina that accumulate with age. Studies have shown that these oxidative waste products can benefit from taking anti-oxidant supplements in the form of ocular vitamins.

Dr-Trace :

Unfortunately, pseudoxanthoma elasticum is not the same disease as age related macular degeneration. There is no evidence that the disruption of bruch's membrane is caused by oxidation.

Dr-Trace :

Lutein is used in the ARMD (age related macular degeneration) supplements to scavenge oxygen free radicals.

Dr-Trace :

I believe bilberry is used for the same reason.

Dr-Trace :

So the supplements that treat macular degeneration may be of no benefit in pseudoxanthoma elasticum.

Dr-Trace :

But I don't think they can hurt. Please be certain however, that her eye supplements and her additional supplements do not overlap and surpass the RDA (recommended daily allowance) of these supplements. Overdosing on supplements could be dangerous.

Dr-Trace :

I hope this answers your question.

JACUSTOMER-s01fqxbd- :

Thanks for your response Dr. Trace...so you are saying the

JACUSTOMER-s01fqxbd- :

Thanks for the information Dr. Trace.....I do have a follow-up question...are there any supplements or any prescription meds that could be taken to help strengthen the Bruch's membrane in the eye???