Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology
66045090

I caught ocular toxoplasmosis (possibly toxacarisis) when I

Customer Question

I caught ocular toxoplasmosis (possibly toxacarisis) when I was 4, in 1981, in my right eye only. I have partial sight in that eye. I have had chronic pan-uveitis in that eye for the last 3 years. The toxo was killed off by steroids at the time and never reached or affected my left eye in any way.
8 weeks ago, I suddenly developed floater, a little hazy vision, ache, enlarged pupil in my good eye. It is now also red, a little uncomfortable/painful at time, puffy droopy eyelid. I have had it checked about 8 times in the last 8 weeks by several different opthalmologist consultants who have said they cant see anything wrong with my good eye (apart from the obvious redness and puffy eyelid) they have said there is no uveitis in that eye and no reason why there should ever be uveitis in that eye. However, they cant explain what is happening, or give me any reason for the symptoms. Could anyone help give me a reason. I have been on prednisolone oral for a while. Could it be drug related? Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 4 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi I am Dr. Trace and I would like to help you with your question.

Dr-Trace :

The first thing that comes to mind is an enlarged pupil with a droopy eyelid. This is every ophthalmologist's concern and a third nerve palsy must be ruled out. I am assuming that this was done since you said you have seen several different ophthalmolgists over 8 times in the last 8 weeks.

Dr-Trace :

So - what can be a cause for a red/ slightly or intermittantly painful eye with a puffy eyelid? Even with no uveitis, the cornea can be abraded or irritated. I would recommend you lubricate the eye frequently during the day - 5 to six times a day - with an artificial tear preparation like systane or blink. Then at bedtime, I would recommend a gel like refresh pm. Put this in the eye at bedtime because it will blur your vision slightly.

Dr-Trace :

Do this for a few days. If your symptoms do not resolve, you must return to the ophthalmologist to get to the cause of your symptoms. Finally, I cannot think of a link between oral prednisone and corneal irritation so I doubt this is the cause of your ocular symptoms.

Dr-Trace :

I hope this helps.

Dr-Trace :

Dr. T

JACUSTOMER-36k9u68n- : Thank you. Would the doctors be able to detect third nerve palsy during a normal eye exam. Could pred cause this condition. If the toxo had reactivated would the doctors have been able to detect this by now. Thank you.