Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have a floater that looks like a negative image of lightning,

I have a floater that looks like a negative image of lightning, plus my vision is like I'm looking through a very thin sheet if toilet paper
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

tell me more about this vision through the veil. Does it seem like there is a veil coming across your vision from any direction, kinda waving in the breeze, but staying in the same general area?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

no, it's just there, as thouth i'm holding it in front of my eyes

Dr. Rick :

Has this veil changed in anyway since you first noticed it? How long has it been going on?

Customer:

it's been going on since Friday evening,,fas no changed at all

Dr. Rick :

Is it affecting your vision? also, where in your visual field is it? Up, down, left, right etc?

Customer:

it makes my vision a bit

Customer:

'foggy

Customer:

..and is all through my field of vision

Dr. Rick :

ok. Well, the floater is nothing to worry about. That is a PVD, and here is some information about that. But we need to deal with this veil.....let's discuss that more after I post this information about a PVD:

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

This veil, or toilet paper as you call it, worries me.

Customer:

worries me too...

Dr. Rick :

It can be from a few few things. It could be blood inside your eye (vitreous hemorrhage) or it could be your retina ripping off.......since you still have central vision that would mean that your macula, the important central part of your retina, is still intact.

Customer:

that's good news...what can I do about it?

Dr. Rick :

As a retina surgeon I think you need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist right away....like 15 minutes ago. But. It's Sunday....so. I think you should call your local ER and ask them if they have an ophthalmologist on call. If so tell ask them how you go about seeing him today....being examined by ER doc first will be a waste of time and money. I don't do heart attacks and they shouldn't do eyes....

Customer:

Sounds like a plan..although I don't think the er will have an eye dr on call,,this is a fairly small town

Dr. Rick :

Drat. Is there an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) in town? If so, you could call his answering service and see if he would examine you....he might especially if you tell him you talked with a retina specialist who thinks you need to be seen.

Dr. Rick :

I know I would meet you at my office if you called......

Customer:

already tried that..will have to call in the morning

Dr. Rick :

How far are you from a town that might have an eye doc available?

Dr. Rick :

By the way, I know what you are going through....I live in a town of 8K souls in the middle of a million acres of national forest.....I'm the only retina doc for hours in any direction....

Dr. Rick :

but it is a great place to live :-)

Customer:

200 miles..I'm in Roswell,NM...closets are Albuquerue, El PPaso or Lubbock

Customer:

I will try again to talk to the local dr

Dr. Rick :

I used to live in Lubbock.......and have been Roswell many times, hit the museum and ate at the old Dennies. It's a small world.

Customer:

It is that..any thing else you can do for me?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, if worse comes to worse, just relax for the rest of the day. No reading, but you can watch tv. and get hold of the eye doc tomorrow. Or, if you want you can get a ride to Lubbock. Texas Tech Dept of Ophthalmology has a doctor on call 24/7....I trained some of them :-)

Dr. Rick :

With chat as my only treatment tool....my skills are not very useful right now....

Customer:

ok, thanks..enjoy the rest of the weekend..no fools

Dr. Rick :

You too. I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I was just thinking about you and wondering how your retina is doing. Was it detaching or was it just blood inside your eye/floaters?