Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

One week ago I woke up with a large painful bump on the side

One week ago I woke up with a large painful bump on the side of my nose near my eye. It has not gone away and is still painful at times, but not as great as it was. It's still very red. Could this be an insect bite or a blocked duct?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may have a chalazion or a stye

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to continue using the acne medicine or neosporin ointment as they will not get down into the bump to do any good....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The bump is not on my eyelid. It is adjacent to my nose and underneath my eye. Does the same application apply?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Is it more along the edge of your nose and not near your eyelid?

Can you take a picture of it? If so, here is an easy way to upload the picture to me:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry. I do not have a digital camera. This bimp is adjacent to my nose as I first stated and about 3/4 of inch - 1 inch below the eye.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. You are correct. From where it is located I do not think it is a stye or a chalazion. It sounds like your tear duct is plugged up and your lacrimal sac is infected. This is called dacryocystitis.

This might require oral antibiotics and maybe even surgical probing/intervention by an ophthalmologist. I'd give her a call tomorrow and see if she can examine you.

Here is a very good article on this topic:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/9784.html

Sorry about the wrong info above.....but with "chat" as my only diagnostic tool my diagnostic ability is not up to snuff :-)

Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I was just thinking about you. Did you have a chance to see your ophthalmologist? Was it your lacrimal sac that was causing your bump?