Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 71 year old male . About a year ago i had cataract

I am a 71 year old male . About a year ago i had cataract removal in my right eye. My left eye is OK. I do not notice any improvement in my right eye following surgery. Should I make an appointment with the Bascom - Palmer eye instatute for a second opinion?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Yes, that would be an excellent idea. Bacom Palmer, as you may already know, is one of the top eye institutes in the country and you will get excellent advice from them.

Dr. Rick :

Also, I believe it never hurts to get a second opinion.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

do you suggest that i have another cataract removal in my rt eye by the doctor at bascom palmer ?

Dr. Rick :

The cataract, once removed, does not come back. If it seems like the vision is getting worse since your surgery it is possible that the bag that holds the lens in place is getting cloudy. This is called a posterior capsule opacity and is a common occurrence/

Dr. Rick :

Here is some information on this issue:

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause for your vision problems is a posterior capsule opacity (PCO).

The artificial lens is placed in the capsular bag after your lens (cataract) is removed. This capsule, in a large number of patients, can become cloudy with time and cause a decrease in vision. Some patients say it is almost like their cataract has come back, or they complain of glare, problems reading, driving at night etc.

The good news about a PCO is that it can be easily diagnosed and treated in your ophthalmologists office -- no need for any further surgery or, many times, even a new eyeglass prescription.

How is it treated? Your eye is dilated just like it is for a routine eye exam. A drop of numbing medicine is placed in your eye and, in most cases, a special hand-held contact lens is placed on your eye. You are positioned at a slit lamp that has a laser attached to it and, using the laser, (YAG) the capsule is cut allowing a clear path for light to get to your retina again. The entire procedure takes less then 5 minutes. There is no "post-op" recovery time needed and you can expect good vision to return as soon as the drops wear off.....sometimes even sooner.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes thank you for the information sincerely. Richard

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest