Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I wear contacts and glasses and for the last week or so I have

I wear contacts and glasses and for the last week or so I have only been wearing my glasses because my eyes are sore. My vision has become pretty blurry and it becomes worse as the day progresses. I have been using Systane eye drops and Refresh PM ointment thinking that my eyes were just really dry because of the horrible pollen count right now. (I live in South Carolina) These things have not been working and it is getting to the point that I don't want to drive. Very worried!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. It sounds like you are already doing the right thing. However, it is possible that you are suffering from more then just dry eyes....you may be suffering from allergies and blepharitis also. The good news? There is a home treatment that should help:

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Here is a good article on Blepharitis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharitis

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm still not clear on why my eyeballs hurt, they are really sore and I do take Zyrtec on a daily basis. Nearing a migraine status were my headache is concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
That is an excellent question. When your eyes are dry or irritated they can hurt/be uncomfortable. Another thing that can be causing your discomfort is keratitis from your contacts.

You are already doing the right thing by not wearing your contacts and soothing your eyes with drops and refresh PM.

If your eye are sill bothering you a lot tomorrow I'd suggest going to your ophthalmologist and having her take a look at you just to make sure there is nothing more serious going on.