Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have allergies, I rubbed my eyes, it felt like a pop in my

Customer Question

I have allergies, I rubbed my eyes, it felt like a pop in my right eye and it hurt, and now it is very red and still hurts a little.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Is this confluent redness or like a collection of red sidewalk cracks?
Customer :

red sidewalk cracks

Customer :

I have had the redness often, but don't remember any popping feeling.

Doctor DanB : If confluent, this sounds like a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This essentially amounts to a bruise on the eye, except on the eye the tissue that the blood is underneath is transparent so you see the blood exactly the color it is, versus a bruise on your arm which is hiding beneath layers of skin.There are things that can predispose to getting these hemorrhages. Warfarin (coumadin) is one of the most common drugs that cause this. However, taking aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn can thin the blood and predispose to these. Also taking garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba and vitamin E can also thin the blood and predispose to getting these.  However, as any bruise, these can happen without taking any of these blood-thinning medications. Also when there is significant pressure being generated in the eye or head, this can happen from that. Examples of this include eye rubbing, sneezing, coughing, lifting a heavy load or straining against a bowel movement. If you are not taking any of these medicines or vitamins and/or you've not had any of these pressure causing events, then having multiple episodes of this could be a sign of a bleeding problem and should be checked out by your primary care doctor.In the meantime, if there is any eye discomfort, cool compresses and/or artificial tears can help alleviate your symptoms. As long as there has been no prior eye surgery or trauma, however, there is usually little cause for concern.  These hemorrhages will usually resolve in 1-3 weeks spontaneously, as any bruise would.
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense?  Do you have any other questions about this? It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer :

I don't think you saw my responses. I did have lasek eye surgery about 6 years ago. Can you confirm if you see my answers?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer :

red sidewalk cracks

I assume you didn't see my answers because the response you gave was for confluent redness and my answer was sidewalks cracks. Please see my answers

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you. You're right; I wasn't able to see your responses to my questions and I also wasn't able to get back to where I could respond to anything until now, all because of some technical problems.

Now that I've had a chance to see your responses, I think the pop was just the quick movement of fluid related to rubbing your eyes. The reason your eye became much more red was because the eye is exquisitely sensitive to inflammation when allergies are present. Therefore, when the eye is rubbed, the inflammation increase at an alarming rate and level in response to the rubbing; then, the inflammation (redness and swellimg) that came on so suddenly can take literally days to go away). That's why it is so important to avoid rubbing the eyes altogether when allergies are the cause.

First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Secondly, an allergy eye drop is esssential to start; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.

Again, I apologize for the long gap in our communication. Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense?  Do you have any other questions about this?

It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.

If not, Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.