Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

my left eyelid around lash line is slightly swollen and red,very

my left eyelid around lash line is slightly swollen and red,very itchy,not perceptible very swollen but i can feel it,I had pink eye in opposite eye 2 weeks ago but other eye did not see contaminated both eyes were treated with vigamox.This does not feel like a sty as it is around edges of total eye.Shoul I refill the vigamox and retreat? thank you gregor simmons also have been using holistic eye drops as allergies have been terrible in new york

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that this is from your recent episode of pink eye. Also, just as an aside, pink eye is caused by a virus and, since vigamox is an excellent antibiotic that only kills bacteria, it has no effect on pink eye at all. That being said, doctors like to give it out for pink eye all the time anyway :-)

so what am i supposed to do ?

Dr. Rick :

So. I don't think there is any need for you to use the vigamox again. It sounds like you have a combination of things going on right now. Many times issues like yours are caused by a combination of dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis. The good news? There is a simple home treatment that doesn't require the use of $60 bottle of eye drops.....

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Here is a good article on Blepharitis:

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

i am having an eye exam 4/9/2012 anyway,I think you are right this is itchy and annoying will try baby shampoo my Dr. reccomends this also am on clariton and will switch back to zyrtec thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.