Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology
66045090

Recently I suffered a concussion, and there has been a noticeable

Recently I suffered a concussion, and there has been a noticeable difference between the size of my pupils, but it does't happen all the time. I notice it when I wake up in the morning, and if I have been on the computer/watching tv for a considerable amount of time.

I'm not experiencing any blurred vision or loss of balance. When I hit my head I didn't pass out, and I haven't been vomiting at all. I have been experiencing some dizziness in the morning when I get up and a bit of nausea, but nothing that is incapacitating.

I went to the doctor yesterday and she checked my eyes and didn't see anything wrong, but I wanted a second opinion.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr-Trace replied 4 years ago.

Dr-Trace :

Hi - I am Dr. Lewis and I would like to answer your question.

Dr-Trace :

You say you suffered a concussion and this is concerning to me.

Dr-Trace :

Did you receive a CT or MRI scan of the head to document the concussion?

Dr-Trace :

Anisocoria (differing pupil size) is a concerning finding after head trauma. It can indicate an increase in intracranial pressure. As the brain swells, it pushes down on the brain stem and compresses the fibers that control pupil size. This is why differing pupil size is a concern.

Customer:

they didn't give me a CT or MRI

Dr-Trace :

Has the change in pupil size happened again since your doctor saw you yesterday?

Customer:

yes, I noticed it this morning when I woke up, but it went away after a while. It happened again after I was on the computer for about an hour or so.

Dr-Trace :

When did the concussion happen?

Customer:

last Tuesday

Dr-Trace :

Can you tell me exactly what happened?

Customer:

I was leaning over a counter to grab something from behind the fridge, and when I stood up again, I hit my head on a shelf above me

Dr-Trace :

I think what has happened is that there may be some bruising around the areas of the brain that control pupil contraction. When you go to work on the computer, your pupils accommodate (contract). It sounds like one of your pupils may not be returning to it's normally non-contracted state after computer work. My recommendation would be to see a neurologist. Because of the head trauma, and pupil problems afterwards, I think a scan of the brain to look for bruising would be appropriate.

Customer:

ok, thank you very much

Dr-Trace :

You are welcome. Please touch base with me (at no charge) and let me know how you make out.